Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cuttings... what now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fully subermeged it in water and little tiny plantlets were just pouring out of the leaf. Just last night I put the plantlets and the leaf on the surface on a really muggy peat:sand mix. I'm hoping they'll set themselves in the mix themselves but I burried the little white parts of the plantlets in the mix and let the little tiny green leaves sit on top.

If you don't see any plantlets yet, don't worry mine turned brown way before the plantlets came out and it's almost black right now. Just look REALLY close. I used a white container so I didn't even noticed the plantlets until a few days ago. Just look for little white roots and small green leaves that kind of just look like normal everyday weeds.

This is my first time ever successfully grown a plant from a root cutting. Now I must experiment with some other plants! Thanks for the help, everyone.

OH OH! I almost forgot! The stem part of the leaves are completely useless! I was thinking that the plantlets would come out of the base of the stem, but no! They started popping directly out of the leaf part! (The part that gets dew.) I just discarded the stems last night.

-(Kyle)-
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my stems weren't doing anything. But I'll keep them just in case. I hope it's not too late for my Leaf part though. Did you stan dthe stem up or lay it in the water? I'm excited, I LOVED that cutting. And I would love some plants of it. How are the seeds doing he sent? Also, my leaf is almost at the black-end also.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plantlets will come from the leaf portion, but unless all of it is black, there is possibility for life to emerge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is completely black now and all of the plantlets are already out and ready to root. So far, so good.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kinda worried that the plantlets are just seeds of weeds that got stuck to the dew on the dichotoma leafs and then germinated when I put them in water. The reason I think this is because the little plantlets look like normal plants and kind of like weeds that I've seen popping up in my other pots. Does anyone have pictures of dichotoma plantlets so that I can make sure that they actually are plantlets?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, you really are putting too much worry into this whole cuttings thing. D dichotoma cuttings can sprout even if 95% of the leaf is black. Sit back, relax and just keep an eye on them.. Don't let the pots get covered in algae, or dry out and you should be fine. If worse comes to worse, I have plenty more material to make cuttings from [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heheh, it's in my nature to worry about everything. x.x It's genetic. >.<
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah me too. Sorry Steve we are just having fun with our new cutting and learning as we go along. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12