What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings... what now?

Well about a week ago I recieved some Drosera adelae root cuttings and a big Drosera dichotoma leaf. I burried the adelae roots in sand and sphagnum but I'm not sure that was what I was supposed to do. What do I do to get root cuttings to grow?

The dichotoma leaf has these long white threads coming out of the leaf on all sides in many places. It's in regular water and I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it now. The little white threads have tiny plants on the end as well. I just have no clue how to get them into a pot now. I have absolutely no experience with this kind of thing so any help is welcomed. Thanks.

-(Kyle)-

The basic idea is to get the leaves to be on top of soil, dew side up, moist, and covered. That can be achieved through a variety of methods. I use my plastic pipette dispenser containers, as well as 50 ml centrifuge tubes. Others use a baggie. I also have success in placing them on top of live, swampy LFS, uncovered.

So now that there are plantlets growing on the dichotoma leaf, I should just sit it on top of it's prefered soil mix?

I would put a layer of soil in its container and let the water naturally evaporate, allowing the plantets to nestle in and get rooted.

Ok..then I'll have to put some LFS underneath the cuttings. Any ideas on the adelae root cuttings though?

With cuttings of roots and leaves, I don't do anything more than putting them on/under a little media that the plant grows in. For binata sundews, I just put the ends of the leaf under peat/sand, and make sure rest the leaf is resting on the surface, and not suspended in air. They always seem to work. If it has roots and plantlets, just cut the whole section with the plantlet/roots off and put the roots and original leaf segment just under the surface of the media with the plantlet sticking out. You will have lots of plants. Roots can be buried just under (1/2 inch) the surface of the media and wait. I don't use lids, bags, or anything.

Capslock

Ah, ok, sounds simple enough. So if I just lay the cuttings on the surface the little plantlets' roots will find their own ways into the soil. I'll do it first thing tomorrow! (I've been awake for 31 hours and I'm not even tired. ^_^;)

I received the same plants you did. I took the dichotoma leaf and cut two pieces off and placed in water, nothing yet. And the top/leaves or the cutting I put in/on just LFS, it's turning black and I don't have roots or anything. Should I put it fully in water?

I fully subermeged it in water and little tiny plantlets were just pouring out of the leaf. Just last night I put the plantlets and the leaf on the surface on a really muggy peat:sand mix. I'm hoping they'll set themselves in the mix themselves but I burried the little white parts of the plantlets in the mix and let the little tiny green leaves sit on top.

If you don't see any plantlets yet, don't worry mine turned brown way before the plantlets came out and it's almost black right now. Just look REALLY close. I used a white container so I didn't even noticed the plantlets until a few days ago. Just look for little white roots and small green leaves that kind of just look like normal everyday weeds.

This is my first time ever successfully grown a plant from a root cutting. Now I must experiment with some other plants! Thanks for the help, everyone.

OH OH! I almost forgot! The stem part of the leaves are completely useless! I was thinking that the plantlets would come out of the base of the stem, but no! They started popping directly out of the leaf part! (The part that gets dew.) I just discarded the stems last night.

-(Kyle)-

Yeah my stems weren't doing anything. But I'll keep them just in case. I hope it's not too late for my Leaf part though. Did you stan dthe stem up or lay it in the water? I'm excited, I LOVED that cutting. And I would love some plants of it. How are the seeds doing he sent? Also, my leaf is almost at the black-end also.

Plantlets will come from the leaf portion, but unless all of it is black, there is possibility for life to emerge.

Mine is completely black now and all of the plantlets are already out and ready to root. So far, so good.

I'm kinda worried that the plantlets are just seeds of weeds that got stuck to the dew on the dichotoma leafs and then germinated when I put them in water. The reason I think this is because the little plantlets look like normal plants and kind of like weeds that I've seen popping up in my other pots. Does anyone have pictures of dichotoma plantlets so that I can make sure that they actually are plantlets?

Guys, you really are putting too much worry into this whole cuttings thing. D dichotoma cuttings can sprout even if 95% of the leaf is black. Sit back, relax and just keep an eye on them..  Don't let the pots get covered in algae, or dry out and you should be fine. If worse comes to worse, I have plenty more material to make cuttings from
smile.gif

Cheers
Steve

Heheh, it's in my nature to worry about everything. x.x It's genetic. >.<

Yeah me too. Sorry Steve we are just having fun with our new cutting and learning as we go along.
smile.gif

Back