What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis bomb proof?

Ok, i've been told for years now that Drosera capensis is supposedly bomb proof. Yet for some reason unknown to me, it is honestly the only Drosera that i've ever had this many problems with. Everything else will thrive in the growspace, along with many other dews, yet a D. capensis dies off in days normally. For bomb proof they must be some pretty weak bombs people have used to test this out.
smile_n_32.gif

I swear I must have just killed off easily number 100.

Anyone else have this prob?

How odd. My Cape Sundews have always been the fasting growing of all my sundews, and I have never had any problems keeping them alive. In fact, like most people state, I have grown them in conditions that I was sure would kill them, but sure enough, they start growing like mad!

ha, i really don't get it myself. I've had falconeri grow from a leaf cutting faster than a large capensis did anything, i've grown them with all other types of dews and no go. i've tried outside where they're fine, until i notice they're growing well. as soon as i think it's a survivor...boom, looks like a bomb hit it.

You must be living in Sinagpore! They have as much luck with capensis as a lot of Americans have with Darlingtonia. They ARE susceptible to shock. That I can speak from experience.

Darlingtonia was one of the easiest things i used to have in my collection. I just potted it up and put it outside.
smile_n_32.gif
Never really seemed to need to worry about the root cooling efforts, just a lot of lfs and a white wide pot.

Does capensis like it cooler perhaps?

Nah I don't think Vertigo lives in singapore.
smile_n_32.gif
That's what I thought at first, that the warm nights was the culprit. Anyone know if South Africa has cooler nights?

Another factor which has been suggested repeatedly is air quality.

I don't think anyone's succeeded in growing Darlingtonia. I tried myself, at least twice, and it was like trying to make a cat fall on its back. Know what I mean?

When I get my highland terrarium up, I tell you, that will be the day...

Jason

Hmm, warm nights could be the culprit. My growspace at the moment does stay pretty warm at night, so if D. capensis does like it a tad cooler that's probably why.

Geez, are there really that many problems with Darlingtonia? I seriously just put them outside, used to produce runners each year as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vertigo @ Aug. 10 2005,11:28)]Hmm, warm nights could be the culprit.  My growspace at the moment does stay pretty warm at night, so if D. capensis does like it a tad cooler that's probably why.

Geez, are there really that many problems with Darlingtonia?  I seriously just put them outside, used to produce runners each year as well.
I have my D. Capensis outside and temps at night have been dropping a bit cooler. Here in Buffalo the temps have varied with 85F+ days and 65F+ nights. They've been doing very well so perhaps that's why. Nice and dewey in the sun too.

I have some Darlingtonias on the way... reading a lot of comments have me a bit worried if they'll do well or not but I'll give it a shot.
smile.gif

All the Saouth Africans prefer and need refreshment from cool nights to be at their best. I had the best results using a deep pot for mine, and not just for the meassive root system but also because larger pots heat up slower. They are also light hungry plants.

Back