What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera dormancy

I have 2 D. Spatulata and 2 'white leaf' D. Capensis . Do either of these require dormancy? I currently have these guys growing outdoors in full sun. The spatulata is growing at an alarming rate with new plants popping up constantly forming beautiful clumps with globs of purpleish dew. The Capensis is growing nicely but the stalks are a bit short, I'm assuming because of being in full sun. What conditions do these guys like during winter? I'm in Buffalo, NY where we'll get 20F temps and lower during winter.

Nope, no dormancy for either of these. Just bring them inside for the winter when it gets below 40 degrees

Mine did fine with lower photoperiod and the lower temps provided by the window sill. Those two species can stay on window sills all year round.

Very good advice. Think I'll take those guys in at the appropriate time so they can spend the winter in the window sill. Thanks.

Just a question: How much does the growth slow down on these plants in the winter? I've never grown them through winter before, so I'm just curious.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ Aug. 16 2005,4:37)]Very good advice. Think I'll take those guys in at the appropriate time so they can spend the winter in the window sill. Thanks.
Does this mean you'll send a fellow Western New Yorker some REAL chicken wings and some Dunkirk ice cream?
smile_m_32.gif

While on the subject of dormancy,does D.Aliciae or D.Tokaiensis require dormancy?

As to slowing down in the winter, this is likely due to lower amounts of available light, the South African species prefer cool nights and should grow well throughout the winter if you can provide good ight. Many of the S. Af. species like Drosera capensis, D. aliciae, D. natalensis, D. slackii, et al have periods where they rest, usually after flowering. At this point they can be kept a bit drier to good effect.

Back