What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews outside?

I know Sundews do good in terrarium, but some are better off outside aswell. Which should be outside? I live in Zone5.

I know that Drosera filiformis is excellent for outside growing, especially in a bog garden.

While all of the sundews will do fine in our climate (Ohio & PA) between most of spring through most of fall, D. filiformis, binata, and intermedia are better adapted to change of seasons. I keep the afore-mentioned outside in mini-bog set ups. They will die back in the fall and need to come inside to winter, but in January, they will "clump" and begin life anew. Some people keep their pigmy sundews outside, but I don't trust aphid infestation/

D.rotundifolia would do well for you, too, it is the toughest one I have growm so far, and as the others mentioned, D.filiformis does really well for me outside (and I leave it out year round, mulching with pine needles for winter)
You can grow lots of stuff outdoors if you bring it inside for winter- I have some D.capensis that I started from seed in March or so, the ones inside are doing well but I moved a couple outside and they are MONSTERS compared to the indoor ones, and I also have D.tokaiensis outside and it is doing really well (I am going to try and leave a clump of them outdoors to see if they will go dormant since they're a mix of pretty tough sundews, we shall see)

Rotundifolia! I knew I forgot an obvious one! Thanks "Dan"!
smile_m_32.gif

No sweat Chief- I figured you just left it out cos it was too easy

I imagine D.linearis and D.anglica might be good candidates, as well as more northern types of D.intermedia

But what about when spring comes? Maybe I should move them all outside.

I meant 'winter'.

I have yet to meet a Drosera that did not do better outside vs inside once they are acclimated to the conditions outdoors. If you put them outside during the warmer months you need to go slowly at first so they don't sunburn. All my plants were grown outdoors from April to October.

Back