What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis getting burnt?

Over the past few days I've noticed that my little byblis liniflora seedling has been turning a reddish color and I just wanted to know if it was because I have the flurescent light just maybe 2 inches from the seedling itself.

The light has been there ever since it germinated and I'm just now noticing the reddish color. It seems like the leaves could be getting burnt by the close light. But since sundews and some pings get red when they're happy. I don't really think that Byblis is one of the CPs that gets red for that reason so I thought it would be best to ask.

I'm going to try and rig the light so that it is higher above my byblis but still gives my other plants the same light amount. Please get back to me ASAP. I'm worried about it.

-(Kyle)-

What soil mix do you have it in? Mormally, mine turn a light red color when they are in low humidity or 50/50 peat sand. A pic would be helpful.

Yeah, mine is in a mix of 50% sand and 50% peat. I'll take a pic in a second and upload it. I do have a picture but it's kind of outdated. This'll give me the opportunity to use my new magnifying glass!

------------------
Ok...magnifying glass didn't work so well. But I still got a pic!

Byblislini0820.jpg

I think the humidity is at least above 50% but I could be wrong....

How's the dew situation?

Well there is still dew on it but it seems like there isn't as much since I removed the light. I think the hood part of the light was keeping the humidity higher. Actually...before I took the lamp off there still wasn't as much dew on it... hmmm...

I've found that my B. liniflora do much better when placed around 1 foot from my lights. They seem to fry if placed too close. I find this odd, however, as I believe that it's very hot in northern Australia where they grow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greg Allan @ Aug. 21 2005,6:13)]I've found that my B. liniflora do much better when placed around 1 foot from my lights. They seem to fry if placed too close. I find this odd, however, as I believe that it's very hot in northern Australia where they grow.
Hi Greg,
I dont think its the heat thats the problem, its the sun
Byblis liniflora grow in areas where there are some trees, so they are usually shaded for part of the day(at least I have heard that)

Nothing to do with shade from trees. They usually (much more often than not) grow in extremely exposed situations. The problem will be a lack of humidity when close to the lights. During the growth period in northern Australia, the environment in which they occur is extremely wet- consequently the humidity is extremely high.

So.. the humidity is the problem? That I can't fix without inviting any more problems coming along. Will it be alright with the light about 10 inches above it? That's where it is now. I just wish I could get the light closer to my other plants. My byblis pot is a lot bigger than the others...

So..yeah it will recover, right? It won't die on me?

Back