What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis "albino" is a speed demon!

I have a few young D. capensis "Albinos" planted in a couple small classic terrariums and I love to feed them bugs. Why? Because they have to be the fastest sundews I grow! Seriously, the leaf and tentacle movement in this species is just incredible. Literally seconds after I put an insect on a leaf I see tentacles move towards it. Within a couple minutes the tentacles are in full swing, to the point where if you sit and watch them closely you can actually see them moving! Within about 7 minutes the entire leaf is folded over. These guys are even faster than my D. scorpiodes!

Are "Albinos" usually this quick to capture prey or is this unusual? It seems to be this variety of Cape Sundew only, as my "Typicals" aren't nearly as fast.

I'm bumping this since it didn't get ANY attention when I first posted it
smile_n_32.gif

LOL yeah, they do move pretty fast and really "dramatically" even my D. burmannii don't come close to the Cape sundews - they tend to tie themselves into knots around even the smallest things, and despite their common status I really do like them a LOT!

(BTW if any Canadian growers need any of the "albino" plants let me know, I have maybe 50 and I really only need 2 or 3)

Back