Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ah! aphids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure glad I grow most of my plants in terrariums! I would hate to have to deal with aphids [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the drowning method quite successfully lately. I left a D. capensis in for about a week. It didn't take very kindly to the treatment but it quickly resumed growth. The D. anglica came out fine as well. I think one day works, two days works for sure. See they don't have any eggs, so once you kill the existing pests, theyre gone.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great that you guys are still discussing which method works best and all but....I wanna get rid of them for good; so would Ortho Miathalon 50 be safe to use on my sundews and VFTs?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malathion is bad. I don't know about using it on sundews, but it totally toasted one of my flytraps and severely damaged my Sarracenia. Pyrethrum (Chrysanthemum extract) worked well on my D. capensis; it killed all the tentacles on the leaves in about twenty minutes, but got rid of the aphids and the plants made a full recovery a few weeks later - the immature leaves that were sprayed managed to open and do just fine as well. Only the older leaves sustained damage. Pyrethrum is also foodsafe and safe indoors (apply it outdoors only,) which is a plus, but is topical, which means that you can miss some of the bugs and they might come back. Acephate (Ortho makes it by the name 'Orthene') is a systemic insecticide, which means it gets into the plant tissues and poisons anything that eats it for a month or so. Acephate is very toxic and for outdoor use only, but it is safe for all CPs so far as I've been told. It's the active ingredient in Ortho Systemic Insect Killer.
    If you've caught the infestation early, submersion should do just fine. If things get out of hand, try the Pyrethrum. If you have space outside or in a greenhouse, though, you might as well go with the Acephate/Orthene, 'cuz it's dirt cheap.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok just to be sure the stuff I got is correct;its Ortho Orthenex Garden Insect and Disease control.Its contents are 4% Acephate,3.25% Triforine,and 0.75% Fenbutatin-oxide,and 92% other ing. Go ahead and use it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. i just was reading and, i hear is bad use chemicals... like comecial insecticides, on cp, right??, well i use for all my plants a cup of water with some coffe and 2 or 3 cigarrets (dont know if thats the word). But i never use this for my cps, cinnamon is good to??

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cinnamon has been used with success for some that grow their CP's in terrraria, as a topical remedy. We have many debates about the best approaches to dealing with aphids. If I had to compile a qualitative, not quantitative impression, it's basically a tossup. There have been some very bad experiences with the use of chemical pesticides, but that hasn't been evryone's experience. And while drowning is safer and has been 100% effective for me, a few others haven't fared as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well as an update I sprayed my plants....aphids gone in about 2 hours.I havnt seen one since and its been about a week or 2 so yay [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12