Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ah! aphids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I was checking on my plants yesterday and I noticed my D. Aliciaie had a few yellow colored round things on it and didnt think much of it.I check it today and its covered with them and I notice that they are moving! Ive heard that you can drown them but how do I go about doing this? Ive also heard that sprinkling cinammon works too.Which method should I use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would use an insecticide and make sure the job is done properly. I don't think sundews will take too kindly to being submerged in water for a few days to drown aphids like you can do with VFTs. I've never heard of using cinnamon as an insecticide either. Good old Provado will sort the problem out, I recommend it for any cps.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cinnamon is used successfully by our terrarium growers for dealing with mold. I have had 100 % success (so far) by taking the infected pot and placing in a glass jar that is significantly taller than the pot, overfilling the pot by a few inches. And then I wait a week or so. That's the easiest way and every plant that I have done this with recovered (D. adelae, capensis, and spatulata) The sphids haven't returned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I guess I got a little confused with the cinnamon,oh well.I think Im gonna dunk my plant.My only question is how do you prevent the media from coming up and uprooting the plant?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the pot in the jar and add water slowly. Let the media soak up the water and keep adding more water. It hasn't been an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I did the dunking thing.I probbly didnt do it long enough as there is still signs of aphids.Would Ortho Miathalon 50 work and not kill my sundew? If its not good to use what kind of spray would work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to do the water dunk treatment for atleast 2 days. What you want to do is pretty much keep your pot flooded, so you place it in a larger container filled with distilled water. This way the water level is above the media. This will drown the bugs. You can spray the leaves/foilage that have the bugs on them with a spray bottle to get them to fall in the water. Then they will drown.

Personally though when I had an attack I used Ortho Systemic Insect Killer. You can find this at local garden centers, home depot, or lowes. It is recommended by the people at Cobraplants.com, who use it on all their plants. I use it for the following reasons:
    1) The cost for all that distilled water
    2) The effectiveness

It kills the aphids on contact, and immunizes your plants for 4 weeks to future attacks. I also did not notice any negative effects from it.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my D. capensis in water for 2 weeks, but I didn't know how long to do it. That plant later flowered for me. I have dunked D. spatulata & adelae for about a week and the plants recovered, while the aphids drowned, never to return. In short, the plants can take being immersed for several days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast