Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Several random questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clearing that up Sean.

You also make a good point about the common names. Only a few sundews have common names, while the rest you only see talked about using their scientific names. I guess I'll have to keep sounding like a dork [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From another perspective, I used to work in a tropical fish wholesaler and took care of the salt section. I ordered the fish and it was very important to know the scientific names. Why? In one instance, there was an angel (Centropyge tibicen) that had 4 "common name" for it. The best way of avoiding confusion was to use the scientific nomenclature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errrr, actually Sean most of the pygmy and tuberous Drosera from Australia DO have common names. Most are listed in Erickson's "Plants of Prey in Western Australia". I favor the preservation of those names since it seems a shame that they would have been used so long by many and then forgotten. For those wishing to be scientific the binomials are more communicative with less chances of confusion, but it's still fun to see "Modest Rainbow" (D. modesta) or "Shining Sundew" (D. nitidula) occasionaly bandied about.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12