Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several random questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Does D. madagascarensis go dormant or does it behave like a tropical sundew with no dormancy? Also, what is the common, non-scientific name for this plant?

2) What is the common name for D. scorpiodes? I've always wondered this and have never found an answer.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I grew mine as germinated seeds last year and when winter came, the 3 plants that came to be - died. Right mext to them were 3 more plants. I now have 5 or 6 plants. Nothing has flowered or germinated. Vegetative propogation? I don't know the common name, but the seeds were marked, D. madagascariensis (Botswanna)

2) I have D. scorpiodes referred to as, "Carpet of Death".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Botswanna Sundew and Carpet of Death Sundew? I'm really liking the Carpet of Death [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scorpion Sundew. Sorry to burst the bubble.

D. madagascariensis sometimes goes dormant. When it does, do nothing and growth will resume at the base. This happens mostly in times of heat and/or stress with growth returning once the day/night differential increases.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scorpion Sundew is just as cool!

So as long as I keep my Botswana Sundew free from heat or stress, it won't go dormant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. madagascariensis will also go dormant if the temps drop too low in winter. Why would you call a sundew named after the country of Madagascar the Botswana sundew? Common names are pointless anyway IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you call a sundew named after the country of Madagascar the Botswana sundew? Common names are pointless anyway IMO.

I would call it that because Jim said he saw it marked that way. And I don't think common names are pointless. Sometimes when talking to people who know NOTHING about CPs I don't want to sound like a complete dork [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough if that's the way you like it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Jim's plants were labelled as D. madagascariensis(Botswana) because they are the form from Botswana. The species occurs in other countries such as South Africa & Madagascar (of course) also. To call it the Botswana sundew isn't really an accurate common description of the species.

It is probably worth noting that most species of Drosera do not have common names for example most of the South American and pygmy Drosera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast