What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.binata - floppy fellow

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
I am used to plants standing tall or at least vining like neps where I can use a pole.

How do you grow this guy with leaves falling all over the place?!  
confused.gif

Or do I leave it till it becomes like this.  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Any ideas to neaten the growth? Or use a larger, more shallow pot?

wow ur plants are huge!!! anyway, i grow mine is wide shallow pots and i try to trim leaves that is turning brown, or tentacles that are no more "working" to keep the plant neat! and dewy...

maybe it's time for u to repot your plant soon i guess? i will show u my binata... let u have an idea... i just leave the plant alone... the leaves just gets piled up layer by layer! and it looks nice!

binata.jpg

maybe if u want it nice and decorative.. hang it up on a hanging basket ... lotsa light will keep the plant sturdy and compact and red

Cindy, mine is a younger plant than yours and the leaves stay upright for awhile for me, but eventually they fall - especially the flowering stalks. Last year I was asking why my D. spatulata flower stalks started out upright and then fell over. Tamlin said that it was a function of how quality the lighting is. I think Clayton has the right idea. Have you considered taking any leaf cuttings of the older leaves? They are about the easiest things to propogate.

and to add onto jimscott... multifida f extremas have a heavy "head" thus it create a weak point on the petioles of the leave. Therefore, the plant will naturally hang over...

as for binatas... the petioles are naturally strong and they can support the weight of the smaller head and they are much less heavier...

I'll tell you what, don't try growing them upside down. LOL.
I tried it, doesn't work.

What you can do is stake some of the leaves and let the others flop, I think it will look nice like that
smile.gif

I think this is a natural thing and wouldn't be concerned. Most of these forms start erect and then cascade. Mine do this, and they are outdoors in full sun.

Back