Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D.binata - floppy fellow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I am used to plants standing tall or at least vining like neps where I can use a pole.

How do you grow this guy with leaves falling all over the place?! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Or do I leave it till it becomes like this. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Any ideas to neaten the growth? Or use a larger, more shallow pot?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow ur plants are huge!!! anyway, i grow mine is wide shallow pots and i try to trim leaves that is turning brown, or tentacles that are no more "working" to keep the plant neat! and dewy...

maybe it's time for u to repot your plant soon i guess? i will show u my binata... let u have an idea... i just leave the plant alone... the leaves just gets piled up layer by layer! and it looks nice!

maybe if u want it nice and decorative.. hang it up on a hanging basket ... lotsa light will keep the plant sturdy and compact and red

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy, mine is a younger plant than yours and the leaves stay upright for awhile for me, but eventually they fall - especially the flowering stalks. Last year I was asking why my D. spatulata flower stalks started out upright and then fell over. Tamlin said that it was a function of how quality the lighting is. I think Clayton has the right idea. Have you considered taking any leaf cuttings of the older leaves? They are about the easiest things to propogate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and to add onto jimscott... multifida f extremas have a heavy "head" thus it create a weak point on the petioles of the leave. Therefore, the plant will naturally hang over...

as for binatas... the petioles are naturally strong and they can support the weight of the smaller head and they are much less heavier...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you what, don't try growing them upside down. LOL.
    I tried it, doesn't work.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you can do is stake some of the leaves and let the others flop, I think it will look nice like that [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a natural thing and wouldn't be concerned. Most of these forms start erect and then cascade. Mine do this, and they are outdoors in full sun.
    "Grow More, Share More"