Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Borneo and its nepenthes: a pictorial tour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were extremely busy over the weekend and unable to hop on the forums. What a wonderful way to kick off an otherwise dreary monday morning!!!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

I'm sure over the course of the day I'll be going back to oggle your pics again and again.
    Nep Grower, those pics of the hanging villosa pitchers: for some reason I think those might actually be N. Harryana, the natural hybrid of villosa x edwardsiana. Gotta admit i haven't seen too many villosa plants, so I could be way off, but the elongated shape and the waist rib remind me of pics I have seen of Harryana. Any opinions, gang?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trent,

That's an interesting point you raise.

All the N. villosa (?) plants photographed (except the first two from the Kinabalu HQ trail) grew together in a relatively large and exposed area where it would be almost impossible not to spot them. Charles Clarke writes that N. xharryana can be found on the summit trail to Mount Kinabalu, but much lower down the mountain and in a "well concealed site".

I personally feel that the plants pictured are N. villosa, as the pitchers are not elongated above the hip as in N. xharryana (Clarke, 1997) and not as cylindrical as I would expect of N. xharryana (based on the photos and description I have seen).

Anyone have any alternate views? Here is one of the plants in question:

Michael.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your point. Too globose for Harryana. And the waist rib is too high up the pitcher.
    I've got a question about the albomarginata color forms you pictured. Were they all in the same general area, or were those from different places around Sarawak? Especially interested in the altitudinal range of the three colorforms you show-if they're from different areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All N. albomarginata were from the same general area - Bako National Park. All forms from approximately the same altitude as well (0-100m or so).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few more N. rafflesiana lowers as per request:

Intermediate pitcher?

Also, I was playing around with MS Paint and came up with this. I think it would make quite a nice book cover. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that book cover, where can I buy the book? I would also love to see a picture of Rajah, (or any of the neps) with something else in the picture for size comparison.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nep_grower you're really spoiling us with all these wonderful photos! Helps me look forward to travelling to SE Asia all the more!

Cheers,

Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Sep. 19 2005,5:49)]Love that book cover, where can I buy the book? I would also love to see a picture of Rajah, (or any of the neps) with something else in the picture for size comparison.
    This is really the only one I have. Dried N. rajah pitcher with Canon Ixus camera.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast