What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gymnamphora - or not!?

Hi,

I already posted some pitures of this plant some time ago, but now it is more mature and maybe you can help me identifying it. It is a TC grown N. gymnamphora from Thomas Alt. I don't know where the seed originates from, but in case Thomas collected the seed by himself chances are high, that the mother plant was indeed N. gymnamphora and it could be a natural hybrid. Here the pictures:

N_gymnamphora_230905_A.jpg

N_gymnamphora_230905_B.jpg

Any input is welcome.

Cheers Joachim

wow if its a hybrid you have to do dna testing to find out which, ITS BEUATIFULL!!

Looks like either some maxima, or vietchii in there.

Don't think that is N. gymnamphora! I would agree N. maxima in there.
N. gymnamphora x maxima?

Kinda looks like bongso x maxima, or jaquilinae x maxima. Does it have uppers you can post pics of? If ya ever cut it, you should sell the cuttings (wink wink), as it's a very nice hybrid.

Wow! More attractive than N. talangensis x maxima (a similar-looking hybrid pitcher-wise) considering how flared the peristome is! That plant you have there Joachim, would prove worthwhile maintaining long-term in cultivation! Stunning!

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,

Amori

I definitely don't think it is a pure N. gymnamphora either. Assuming your assumptions are correct and the seed was collected from a wild N. gymnamphora I think that N. bongso would be a good guess - especially if it is the N. bongso that used to be called N. carunculata var robusta. I see why people say N. maxima or veitchii but that would have to be manmade.

Rich

I agree with others, it definitely looks like a maxima hybrid particularly with what looks like a remnant maxima nectar gland at the base of the lid. As maxima is not found in Sumatra as far as I'm aware, I'd say there's been a mix-up in labelling somewhere. If you want to see a more likely candidate for gymnamphora x bongso, please have a look at Joachim Danz' site, http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/N_gymnamphora.html

Hmmm....

I just don't see any N. bongso in that thar pitcher! Which leads me to believe there was a mixup somewhere as well.

Can you post some photos of leaves/plant maybe? N. maxima and N. bongso are quite a bit different in that area.

Tony

Hell,

many thanks for your replys! According to Rob Cantley the N. talangensis x maxima hybrid he showed on his DVD was created by Thomas Alt, so maybe this plant is as well this cross. Here are some leaf and stem details:

N_gymnamphora_240905_A.jpg
N_gymnamphora_240905_B.jpg
N_gymnamphora_240905_C.jpg

Cheers Joachim

That's possible. More flairing than I would have thought but I have one plant of that hybrid and will take a look. The leaf shape sure looks very similar. How big is the pitcher in the other photo? And how big is the plant?

Tony

mix up or not it is a stunning plant

Hi
Nice plant Joachim.
smile.gif

Here are a few shots of my N. talangensis x maxima as a comparison:

talmaxlow.jpg

Lower pitcher.

talmaxup.jpg

Upper pitcher. (Sun went in!)

talmaxleaf.jpg

Leaf.

cheers

bill

Hello,

as I told you in the german forum, i also think it is N. talangensis x maxima. You can see the clone from Thomas Alt on the BE-DVD, and it looks very similar. The lid and peristrom speaks for N. maxima, the form of the pitcher for N. talangensis.

Cheers,
Dominik

So should I suppose I made a good educated guess?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
I mentioned N. talangensis x maxima after recollecting my memories and photos of the plants Borneo Exotics had on display at the RHS Autumn Show last year. Hmm... the plot thickens!

Cheers,

Amori

Hello,

many thanks for all of your answers and especially to Bill for sharing pictures of his plant! Dominik, I'm sorry not to answer to your reply earlier at the German forum.

The pitcher shown is about 13 cm high and the plant rosette diameter is around 27 cm. So it still might be not fully adult yet.

The plant indded looks very similar to the N. talangensis x maxima - only the peristome seems to be slightly wider. But this might easily due to variation of different clones. Where did you obtain your clones from?

Cheers Joachim

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joachim Danz @ Sep. 25 2005,3:06)]Hello,

The pitcher shown is about 13 cm high and the plant rosette diameter is around 27 cm. So it still might be not fully adult yet.

The plant indded looks very similar to the N. talangensis x maxima - only the peristome seems to be slightly wider. But this might easily due to variation of different clones. Where did you obtain your clones from?

Cheers Joachim
Hi Joachim,
My N. talangensis x maxima came direct from BE. It is still a young plant, though there is a photo on BE site of a more mature specimen. This has a much more flared peristrome than mine. Check out their nursery photos..

cheers

bill

Very nice plant marcello !!
A lot of pitchers there
biggrin.gif

Is it hard to grow?

Back