Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need answers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the leaves and size, along with your description of the pitchers (green with red spots) and the fact it was bought in that plastic hanging pot, I'd say it's an N.gracilis.

My N.gracilis is a little bigger than yours. I grow mine indoors. It is 1' back from a N window under a 25W cool white fluorescent light. Like yours, mine is also quickly producing new leaves and, recently, flower spikes (6 in the past 3 months....and just when I cut one off, another appears). It is also pitchering like mad.

When I acquired mine, it stubbornly refused to pitcher for 3-4 months, even under fairly good lighting and humidity (60-70%). However, once it started, it never stopped. Give your plant some time to adjust to its new environment. I completely agree with the others that higher light and humidity would certainly help pitchering, but if it continues to be stubborn, just give it some time. You can artificially increase humidity around the plant by placing it on a larger tray of wet pebbles (make sure the plant is well above the water line....nepenthes do not like to be in waterlogged soil). Even better, you can buy a cheap warm-air humidifier online or from your local home depot....it will increase the humidity of the entire room and costs little ($30-50). To increase lighting, you can buy a 20-25W cool white compact fluorescent bulb and an appropriate fixture from home depot/lowes (all for ~$10-15). Place the plant ~4-6" below the bulb, and do not let the leaves touch the bulb as they will burn.

Your soil mix looks like a combination of cocofiber and peat. (Cocofiber has a stringy, fiberous consistency.) Make sure it isn't too compacted or the roots may gradually die. If you can't easily push your finger into it even when wet, it's probably too compacted and you should transplant it into a more loose mix.

Good luck with your plant.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that you discribed the pitchers i can tell you it has to be a

grasilis
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the plant looks etoliated, which means it has not been getting enough light. The leaves are floppy, thin and light green which is classic of being grown in these conditions. Low humidity could also be contributing to its condition.

One thing to note is that even when put into perfect conditions, Nepenthes can take some time to recover and start pitchering again when they've been shipped, transplanted or even moved. If nothing has improved after a couple of months, then you would need to reconsider growing conditions.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of the Deroose hybrids. Probably a N. Miranda. That is the most common besides N. Ventrata which it is not. Nice try guys but sorry it is not a N. gracilis.

Hamish is correct that it could take months before the plant turns around and throws out some pitchers. Although with careful observation we could get an idea if any changes you make are the correct ones based simply on the plant growth after a few weeks or so. With proper light intensity the spacing between the leaves would be closer. The leaves would be thicker and have a nice medium green color. They may even get a flush of reddish color.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i had it hanging in a window and then i noticed the spots on the leaves. i moved it to the floor where it gets both natural an artifical light. the light is just a grow light bulb i bought at lowes. so the elongated growth isn't good? how do i take a cutting and what do i do with it? i got the plant from a grocery store a year ago and haven't had much luck. here in tx right now we've got highs in the upper 90's and lows in the mid 70's. i tried it outside and just continued getting spots. yes our house is air conditioned it has to be with temps above 100 in the summer. i'm pretty sure it's a miranda from all the research i've done. so should i attach another light to the opposite wall so it gets more light?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light shouldn't be ur only concern. Like I said, I too have a DeRoose hybrid similar to yours that isn't pitchering even though it gets plenty of light. Humidity is pretty important. Mine only doesn't pitcher because it is now inside the house due to cooler temps outside. Take Chloroplast's advice and use the water tray method. It works for orchids and should work for neps.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the grow light is one of those incandescent spotlight type grow bulbs.. toss it out and get a 35w+ compact fluorescent bulb and get it right down close to the plant. If you can find one bigger than 35w great! If it is a daylight/sunlight instead of soft white that would be super too!

If you have a good spot that gets a good amount of natural sun though. I would stick with relocating it. Since the plant is used to fairly dim lighting, risk of burning some leaves is high. You need to do it slowly to minimize this but once you go for it, stick with it. New leaves will do fine in the brighter light and shouldn't burn. Perhaps at some point you can cut it back too and get a nice compact bushy plant from the base of the vines.

As for a cutting, just remove the top of one vine.. with about 4 leaves. Slice the stem just through the outer layer, vertically at the bottom of the cutting for about 1 inch long. If your stem isn't a few inches long below the lowest leaf then remove one leaf so you have enough bare stem to bury. Then stick the cutting in a pot with some well moistened mix and firm it down. Put the pot and cutting in a ziplock and put it under bright indirect light. If the leaves are too big to fit in the bag then you can cut the ends off a bit to fit. It will take a couple months to start rooting well. Just check periodically for proper moisture etc.

Outdoors I think you could do well also, but some protection from midday sun would probably be necessary. Perhaps some other TX area folks could help with that info.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww, shucks....not a N.gracilis. Tony, do I still get credit for guessing?! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast