What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need answers

ok so my nep wasn't doing to hot and i moved it under a grow light. now it's getting even bigger than before but still has no pitchers. it has a new leaf open everday so it's growing good. when will it pitcher? you can't even tell it's a cp! what else can i do to help it?

what is your spiecies then i can tell you

well i gues that you are a neophyte with nepenthes right? the most common not-pitchering mistake in the USA is when you put the plant in hot weather, i put a couple of plants in hot weather
and they didn't pitcher, then i put them inside at 70*f and they pitchered like cazy.

btw WHAT PLANT DO YOU HAVE!? A LEAF A DAY!!!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

thats like giant bamboos (3 feet a day)!!!

i'm not sure what type it is every time i post pics here no one can tell me. i think it's miranda but not sure. yeah i live in tx and it was outside, when i put it under a grow light about 2 months ago i brought it inside. yeah it has a new leaf everyday, alternating from different sides. the thing is huge it should have pitchers!

ok, i will get one and you will tell me how to post it here for you to see. give me a few minutes. hopefully i'll be able to figure it out on my own.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Sep. 25 2005,8:32)]I beg you for a pic,
smile_k_ani_32.gif
lol but i do wanna see one too! interesting!

Kick up the humidity. Sometimes that will do it. Low humidity will sometimes cause Nepenthes to not pitcher.

Increase the humidity and increase the light.
I have had the same problem then I just increased the light and it pichers beautifully now..

why does that just scream judith finn? Do you remember what the pitchers look like crystal ( what a nice name ) ?

Yes by the look of the poor thing its calling out for more light and humidity,whats it potted up in?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif

Bye for now julian

the pitchers it had when i received it were long and skinny and more red than green. they were kinda spotted or whatever you wanna call it. most of them were dead or dying so i couldn't give you a great description. so more light? do i just add another grow light or what? how do i increase humidity? it's in a hanging basket and i'm not sure what it's potted in b/c i've never changed media. i'm to scared i will kill it like i do everything else.
smile_h_32.gif

i'm going to go spend the day on the lake so i won't be on much. i'll check post and such when i get back. thanks for your help now and in the future. i still obviously need a lot of it.
smile_m_32.gif
talk to you later!
crystal

If you grow it indoors w/out a terrarium, I suggest you buy/build one. Most ways of raising humidity w/out enclosures that are used for orchids are very difficult so the easiest way will be putting it in a tank of some sort. I too have a non-pitchering DeRoose hybrid and am currently working on a large tank to put it in.

-D. Lybrand

Describe the lighting situation please!  You mention putting a grow light on it.  I can seem some leaves that had gotten bleached and burned about halfway up the stems.  Is this when you added the light?  

What kind and amount of light is it getting?  Natural and artificial.  The new growth still looks elongated and lacking in light.  Humidity is sometimes an issue for nonpitchering plants but more often than not it is insufficient light.  

You might also consider taking a cutting off the top and rooting it.  Then try growing the new plant where it will get unshaded sun through a Southern or Western window.  You may have to adjust it first though.  Put it on the sill though.. not hanging up at the top where it might get less sun.

Or perhaps you can put it outside?  What part of the country are you in and what's your weather like?

Tony

Edit: I looked at your profile Crystal. Not sure what the moisture is like in the Dallas/Fort Worth area but outside might be an option. What are the temperatures like? Is your indoor location airconditioned, which would dry the air as well?

Based on the leaves and size, along with your description of the pitchers (green with red spots) and the fact it was bought in that plastic hanging pot, I'd say it's an N.gracilis.

My N.gracilis is a little bigger than yours. I grow mine indoors. It is 1' back from a N window under a 25W cool white fluorescent light. Like yours, mine is also quickly producing new leaves and, recently, flower spikes (6 in the past 3 months....and just when I cut one off, another appears). It is also pitchering like mad.

When I acquired mine, it stubbornly refused to pitcher for 3-4 months, even under fairly good lighting and humidity (60-70%). However, once it started, it never stopped. Give your plant some time to adjust to its new environment. I completely agree with the others that higher light and humidity would certainly help pitchering, but if it continues to be stubborn, just give it some time. You can artificially increase humidity around the plant by placing it on a larger tray of wet pebbles (make sure the plant is well above the water line....nepenthes do not like to be in waterlogged soil). Even better, you can buy a cheap warm-air humidifier online or from your local home depot....it will increase the humidity of the entire room and costs little ($30-50). To increase lighting, you can buy a 20-25W cool white compact fluorescent bulb and an appropriate fixture from home depot/lowes (all for ~$10-15). Place the plant ~4-6" below the bulb, and do not let the leaves touch the bulb as they will burn.

Your soil mix looks like a combination of cocofiber and peat. (Cocofiber has a stringy, fiberous consistency.) Make sure it isn't too compacted or the roots may gradually die. If you can't easily push your finger into it even when wet, it's probably too compacted and you should transplant it into a more loose mix.

Good luck with your plant.

now that you discribed the pitchers i can tell you it has to be a

grasilis

IMO the plant looks etoliated, which means it has not been getting enough light. The leaves are floppy, thin and light green which is classic of being grown in these conditions. Low humidity could also be contributing to its condition.

One thing to note is that even when put into perfect conditions, Nepenthes can take some time to recover and start pitchering again when they've been shipped, transplanted or even moved. If nothing has improved after a couple of months, then you would need to reconsider growing conditions.

It's one of the Deroose hybrids. Probably a N. Miranda. That is the most common besides N. Ventrata which it is not. Nice try guys but sorry it is not a N. gracilis.

Hamish is correct that it could take months before the plant turns around and throws out some pitchers. Although with careful observation we could get an idea if any changes you make are the correct ones based simply on the plant growth after a few weeks or so. With proper light intensity the spacing between the leaves would be closer. The leaves would be thicker and have a nice medium green color. They may even get a flush of reddish color.

Tony

Back