What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lazy afternoon pictures (i)

Various Nepscapes
Nepscape0509286.jpg

Nepscape0509282.jpg

Nepscape050928.jpg

Speckled amp & kindergarten
NepenthesampullariaRedSpeckled05092.jpg

NepenthesampullariaRedSpeckledBasal.jpg

Red Leppard (probably def, too)
NepenthesxRedLeopard050924.jpg

Ventricosa x xiphioides twins
Nepenthesventricosaxxiphioides05092.jpg

Vild Ventrata
Nepenthesventrata050927.jpg

mixta x maxima
Nepenthesmixtaxmaxima050924.jpg

Nepenthesmixtaxmaxima050927.jpg

and the second installment:

khasiana upper with stoned fly (the bugger didn't care about the camera, my hands or anything else but the sweet, sweet nectar...)
Nepentheskhasianafly.jpg

The Burbs!
Nepenthesburbidgeae050927.jpg

N. adnata
Nepenthesadnata050927.jpg

N. thorelii x aristolochioides
Nepenthesthoreliixaristolochoidesla.jpg

Nepenthesthoreliixaristolochoides05.jpg

N. rafflesiana var. nivea
Nepenthesrafflesiananivea.jpg

Red Dragon(ette)
Nepenthesreddragon050927.jpg

Plumeria rubra
Plumeriarubrarot0509271.jpg

FIVE-INCH CENTIPEDE!!
centipede.jpg

Very beautiful photos of beautiful plants! Thank you for sharing Hans!

Cheers,

Amori

wish i lived in Tiawan!

very nice
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

hank you for taking your time and posting such beautifull pics
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ Sep. 28 2005,2:16)]khasiana upper with stoned fly (the bugger didn't care about the camera, my hands or anything else but the sweet, sweet nectar...)
yeah that happens. i get that too! funny how the ants hog the nectar. for me they, the ants, will chase around flys along or around the peristome and try to attack it. fun to watch!

The centipede would be a great meal for the Mixta x maxima! Mine seems to always get a centipede in each pitcher. So I dare not just stick my hands into leaf litter these days!

Nice assortment of plant types and I like the combination of high and low land stuff growing side by side!

Michael

Looking great
biggrin.gif
How do you grow your Burbi? (temps soil etc etc)??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RainforestGuy @ Sep. 28 2005,11:07)]Nice assortment of plant types and I like the combination of high and low land stuff growing side by side!

Michael
wont they die eventually, either or if the same conditions are given?
smile_l_32.gif

Hi guys, and thanks for the compliments!

My plants don't grow exactly under the same conditions. Lowlanders grow under one layer of black 50% netting, highlanders under two layers. Yes, that sounded silly to me when I first heard of it, but here, it works. The environment here (Northern Taiwan, ocean-facing hillside, 700 ft. above sea level) is lowland in the summer and intermediate to highland in fall and spring (in the two winter months I cover the whole greenhouse with plastic and install a heater). The most important thing, however, is the night drop, which allows the highlanders to survive the summers, but is not so harsh as to kill the lowlanders in fall and spring.

As a result, burbidgeaes, ramispinas and stenophyllas grow just as fine as amps and bicals, albeit at different seasons. The only neps that absolutely thrive like weeds, no matter what time of year, are my cheapest - the ventratas - and my most expensive, the Cantley's Red. Weird, but I can't complain, I guess...

As to my burbi, I grow it just like everything else, low or high:
in a deep pot with a bottom lining of medium-sized pebbles, then a mix of fine and coarse "orchid bark", fine and coarse clay pebbles, fern tree bark, perlite, small granite and quartz pebbles, and a little (maybe 10%) peat, all topped with a fat layer of dead LFS.

DISCLAIMER: This mix works for me, but might not for others, as it's quite sunny-hot in the greenhouse, but also windy, and the plants get a lot of rain (man-made rain every hour if the heavens don't provide any). All that calls for a light, fast-draining mix with humidity-preserving properties (LFS and perlite), which works fine for all my species and hybrids (the ultra-lowlanders get some more peat and also shredded sphagnum in their mix)

cheers

Hans

Great looking plants, as always.

That drunk fly cracks me up
smile_n_32.gif

Back