User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What nep. species arnt in cultivation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (lol @ Oct. 01 2005,9:57)]i agree with nepgrower. only one i know that isnt in cultivation is nepenthes mapuluensis for sure.
    Oh yes it is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we asking which species are not commercially available or which species do not exist in any private collections or research facilities?

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dlybrand, the original post would suggest the latter, but I don't see anything wrong with discussing Nepenthes which are not commercially available as well. Though, as I said, almost all known species are commercially available anyway. It's just those select few like N. klossii and N. edwardsiana which are only found in private collections.

lol, N. mapuluensis most certainly is in cultivation. How do you think the hybrid N. mapuluensis x ventricosa was created?

Andreas Wistuba was trading cuttings of his plant back in 1999 I believe.

Also, to my previous list of plants probably not in cultivation I'll add the elusive N. mollis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. saranganiensis from the southern Philippines was newly discovered in 2002 by Kurata. I don't know if he brought life plants to Japan.
    Anyway it is not so different from alata, judging by the tiny images on the net.
    Jason: You mean klossii maybe. The transparency belongs to your dream though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Volker
    http://pitcher-plants.com/bannersmall.jpg Manila, Philippines, Elev: 80 m, 24-33 C

Tropical outdoor growers: Please visit our Carnivorous Plants in the tropics forum

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of anyone having mapuluensis before. Must've been before my time. I mean, what the heck does it look like? I know it isn't commercially availible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a purple N. northiana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless saranganiensis is its own species and nobody has brought back live specimens, I think the only neps that nobody grows (private collections/botanical labs) are the ones we haven't discovered yet.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Nepgrower correctly answered the question.
    Mapuluensis is in cultivation.
    As far as I know, N. treubiana, the species found growing on seaside limestone cliffs in westernmost New Guinea, is not in cultivation. Only until recently, N. sumatrana and treubiana were considered the same thing based upon Danser's conclusion from dry herbarium specimens. Today we know they are distinctly different. As far as I have seen, all plants marked treubiana are the "Sumatran Form", which we know is really N. sumatrana.
    Anyone having the New Guinea form of treubiana, I'd be interested in hearing from you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast