What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.campanulata - needs advice

Cindy

Staff member
camp031005.jpg

The star is where a shoot is appearing from the main stem. The spider is the latest leaf from the basal shoot.

I am worried that I may lose the basal shoot because the main stem may "snatch" the nutrients from it to support the new shoot.

Am I being paranoid? I hesitate to take the basal shoot as a cutting because I've already lost the main vine which I cut off a month ago.  
confused.gif

I dont think that the plant would die.. just slow down maybe
confused.gif

Hi
The main plant looks a bit weak and stressed to me. Personally I would leave everything as they are and let the basal develop. Its unlikely to affect the main stem, and may well eventually overtake it in growth.
smile.gif

cheers

bill

I would leave as is like Bill suggests. Eventually you could remove the basal shoot with the spider if one becomes noticeably stronger. For now though don't mess with it too much. It looks like it had a rough ride.

Tony

I was too busy thinking to myself "that spider looks fake" to read the post... Then finnaly I did. hahaha

That sphagnum infesting, plant sucking purple starfish is also probably new to science!  You need some serious chemicals Cindy PRONTO! hehe

Sad looking right?  
smile_h_32.gif
 It was quite an handsome plant which I grew under florescent lights. When I placed it in the open, it sent out 2 basal shoots. One died and the other is the one you see in the photo. All these happened after it flowered. Sigh...I think the plant nearly flowered itself to death. To beat that, the flower buds did not open and I still don't know if it's a boy or girl. But I like boys better (see the "handsome" in the first line).

Anyway, now it's back under FL.

The spider looked almost real when I used a smaller one. So I enlarged it in case it looked real and you guys missed the point. Well, well...one of you still did.
smile_m_32.gif

Cindy... I find that when I have newly imported, unestablished young N. campanulata plants they may indeed flower, putting alot of stress on the plant. They typically don't fully develop either as you mention. Sounds like what happened to your plant perhaps. As long as the roots are good though, it will come back. I think moving it back under some bright fluorescent will help. It looks a little pale from over exposure. Perhaps when it is growing at full steam and being feed well it could take brighter light. Will take a while but have alot of patience.. N. campanulata for me takes a long time to really settle in well.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tony. I'll keep a close eye on it.
smile.gif

Tony Paroubek,
I also have from 3 weeks a Campanulata taken from Christian Klein in Prague EEE Meeting. I have noticed that the plant is also taking time to really begin to get used to live in my terrarium.It must also be normal as you told also to Cindy.
Is Campanulata o slow grower or not? Until yet the new nepenthes are standing all at same distance from the 4 neons...and I am waiting to see how single plants will react with light...let's see!
Ps : If you have some pictures to post of your Campanulata I would be glad to give them a check.
See yah!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi MrAga,

Here's my plant before it went a little off track...
campanulata_montage.jpg

It was slow even for tropical climate like mine. Every nep that came with the order was growing steadily but it took more than 3 months to settle down. It was the last to be repotted into a larger pot.

Back