Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Very interesting, but i don't really understand all about the Viking form. ( Cos i'm french maybe ! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] ) but what you're saying here is that Nepenthes Viking is not the true name ? There will have a new name for this form ?

Thanks for your answer !

Greetings,

Kina
    I climbed Kinabalu, and i'll go soon again....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kina!

well, plant's official names must be in latin. "Viking" is english. The name "viking" was given by the man who started taking cuttings of this plant from the wild to sell them - through other thai growers - at Chatuchak, the most famous thai market. The plants has been since then known around with this name, but it's not the official one. That's why we all call it "viking" using those two little symbols on the sides of the name. Because it's actually a nickname.
    To know more, of course I would strongly suggest you to check Nepenthes of Indochina

Marcello
    Last edited by Marcello Catalano; 01-30-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcello,
    That's good news that an official name will be put on the plant. Now I can register these plants from crosses I have done a few years back. Good luck in Ao Pang Na.
    Truly,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    is this plant a climber/viner? From the pics I saw it seems much more compact (stem) than mirabilis when it reaches flowering stage. How long have you grown the plant?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

it grew back from its roots, it flowered after 1-2 years after being cut back. It's about 40 cm high. The way it grows - like for other species - depends much on the amount of light. Low light levels will make it grow fast and high (but with less colour, pitchers and flowers), high light levels will make it grow more compact (shorter but with more pitchers and flowers).
    Of course this is GENERALLY speaking.
    Can I ask you where are you from?
    Marcello

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Marcello Catalano @ Oct. 16 2005,2:43)]Hi,

it grew back from its roots, it flowered after 1-2 years after being cut back. It's about 40 cm high. The way it grows - like for other species - depends much on the amount of light. Low light levels will make it grow fast and high (but with less colour, pitchers and flowers), high light levels will make it grow more compact (shorter but with more pitchers and flowers).
    Of course this is GENERALLY speaking.
    Can I ask you where are you from?
    Marcello
    Hi,
    40cm is quite short right? DOes it begin vining or produce uppers before flowering? Sounds like a really fast grower
    Anyway I am from Singapore, just south of Thailand abit, am thinking of getting some vikings too, but pretty expensive, but it should be a good investment right?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it just produced a few coiled tendrils with no pitchers and then flowered, but I'm not sure because I'm not growing the plant anymore since last spring.

I don't think it's a great investment, like any new species it's still very rare, but once the main world nepenthes producers will get some seeds or they will be able to work on some tissue culture material, considering how fast and easy the species is, the prices will go down very easily.
    I'm going to Thailand in january hopefully, and if I find some vikings, that should already make a big change.

Fortunatly that won't even be negative fot the thai market, as I think that local people will find much easier to keep on buying plants from local nurserymen (of course at lower prices than the present ones) more than ordering small plants from Europe or Sri Lanka or Malesia or U.S. like we do.
    In both cases the important is that all plants for sale are coming from tissue culture, seeds or cuttings and they were not directly taken from the wild. Please always make sure about that when you buy a plant.

In the case of VERY new species, plants taken from the wild in small amounts are still understandable (and yet not fair, correct or legal I think, and I was guilty at least once in my life for such a crime) if they are used to be propagated by the hundreds or millions by well equipped nurseries, as this will help the conservation of those same species in the wild. But if you can wait one year to have new species produced in a "politically correct" way at much lower prices, please don't take plants from the wild even if you have the chance to do it.

Marcello

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast