Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Male n.viking in flower needs female

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This spring a gave my N. viking to a friend, that species is too fast and too big for me, and it likes plenty of full sun, that I don't have. At our Italian cp annual meeting I saw the same plant with 4 flower spikes.
    Even if I'm planning to visit Thailand in January (including the Aopanga area where the Viking grows) I'm not sure if I will be able to find any flowering plant, also considering that not many people really know on which of the tens of the Aopanga islands the Viking is growing.

So if we can get some seeds and spread them all over the world using affordable nepenthes nurseries (Borneo Exotics and Wistuba are a good example, their plants from seed and tissue culture are everywhere) we could start some good conservation program, instead of relying only on adult specimens taken from the wild.

Nong, if you're reading: please try to get some seeds from the many clones of Viking you have, so we can easily repopulate the island and put this species on the market without further risk for the wild population!

Coming back to me: well, I've a male. Anyone with a female? I'll try to store the pollen, if that's possible.

Marcello

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marcello,
    From what I understand, Viking flowering season peaks in November in their native habitat. I know that Nong has at least four females and a whole bunch of males, so I'm sure generating seed in Thailand is no problem. Also, other collectors in Thailand have large collections, so the gene pool potential is very good.
    Also, we have a female Viking. She's a very collectable "grade A" putting up a somewhat smallish flower spike, no doubt due to adjusting to life in Florida. We do not want her to stress, so for overall health, best she not bear seed pods this season. Next year we hope to breed with her by crossing a handsome male Viking onto her. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://pollen.carnivoren.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Marcello,
    Let's hope someone will respond to you.
    Finding another Nepenthes Viking in flower is not easy,but hope is the last to day. I also saw the plant in flower in Italy and I can assure you that she is very nice.I haven't pictures yet,but trust in my words.
    See yah

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest news:

The Viking's owner was informed too late about the importance of his plant's pollen. Some of it has been used to make a cross with some N. mirabilis from Thailand (Krabi) and the rest has been probably washed away by the rain.

Anyway, we'll do our job next summer. In the mean time a male Viking will remain in the web list of the pollen donors.

Shigeo Kurata, who is describing N. Viking to give it a real name, will receive the 3 flower spikes of this male in a few weeks; this should help him to make the describing process a little bit shorter.

Marcello

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...what a shame...
    Anyway I will give you my single effort ( others are also encouraged ) to check for other Nepenthes Viking Females in the next future.
    If I will find one I will contact you.
    Bye

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcello,
    Any hints as to what scientific name Kurata wants to give it? So far, does he see it as a new species?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually in his first email I had the honour to know the name he's going to give, but I'm not sure if I can say it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

He told me that I could say everything I wanted about his process of description, as I was the one who put this plant "back on the scene" with my website, after he received a small specimen in the year 2000 from Thailand, and nobody knew what it was and where it came from.

I would wait before saying the name just because I'm a little bit afraid of some bad luck...you know, saying things before they happen...I'll tell you that the name has to do with the pitcher shape, it's a very simple name...

Shigeo wanted to visit Thailand in the last months but he had some problems...He's still studying the flower, and in his last email he made me some questions about its sepals etc
    Actually I don't know how important all this stuff is: I mean, once you say the shape, how big, how long are sepals, flowers, spikes, tendrils, leaves etc you're done. It will take some time, ok, but not months...
    Anyway, I'm not a tassonomist, he is... A big problem must actually be having more than one specimen of the species, to check the "extremes" of the measures that you've to take. You need to go to Aopanga for a serious job. Maybe that's the only reason why it's taking so long. I asked Shigeo if he needed anything from Aopanga if I was so lucky to find the Viking site. I think he didn't understood, he just apologized because he wasn't able to go to Thailand. When I'll be there, if I will, I'll send him a few things...

He's sure (we all are, I think) it's a new species. But I've already seen some confusion going around on the web, that's the jinx of the indochinese Nepenthes !!!
    N. viking has already been confused with a form of N. thorelii, a hybrid with N. rafflesiana (!!!) and a hybrid with N. ampullaria. Not many people seem to see how similar (almost identical) this plant is to N. mirabilis a part from the (adult) pitchers.
    Marcello

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast