What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i have a cute lil aristo and a cute lil hamata. i have ephippiata, though it lost all the pitchers it had when Tony sent it, its opened a new one and another is forming. i have bongso and two different veitchii. i have eymae x veitchii and jac x izumae. what other showy intermediate growers am i missing? im thinking a lowii x veitchii would be good. ive got room for one or two more and am looking for suggestions. pictures would be great

lowii x truncata is a nice looking one. Look at capslocks its great for a intermediate/HL.

'Predator' is a wonderful plant and definitly handles intermediate conditions.

If you like colour and peristomes the (tobica x ovata) x veitchii is a great plant too. Looks like a blood-red veitchii

Who has the (tobaica x ovata) x veitchii? - PM me if you know

I heard the lowii x truncata grows better as a lowland than a highland so it should handle intermediate conditions well. (I grow mine with my highlanders but haven't had it long enough to evaluate). It looks great so far.

The veitchii x lowii grows very well as a highland so may not be as good in intermediate conditions. Is this crossed with H/L veitchii? But this is one of my favorite hybrids.

The spectabilis x veitchii and spectabilis x red ventricosa are also exceptional plants!

I couldn't decide between these. Good thing I have plenty of room to grow them! I suppose the lowii x truncata would be my first choice for intermediate conditions.

what i would really love to get my hands on is pure jacquelineae. after seeing Jeremiahs in person its a definate must have. havent seen it for sale though. the veitchii x lowii he had was stunning also. i like the Preditor but it doesnt impress me well enough to dump $110 on it, male hamata pollen isnt uncommon and i have a female veitchii, i can make something similar myself and not be out $100
smile_n_32.gif

jacquelineae is still pretty expensive Sheridan, might not be in the $120 range that it was when I got mine but it is still up there. And it definitly does not like intermediate conditions (at least mine doesn't.)

Jeremiahs didnt seem to be doing to bad and while i was only in the greenhouse for more than about 10 minutes, its not what i would consider terribly cool during the summer. and yes i realize its more expensive but i would rather spend it on a jac than the Preditor hybrid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 05 2005,11:31)]and yes i realize its more expensive but i would rather spend it on a jac than the Preditor hybrid.
yeah thats true! and the jac is much better buy than a patychilla

I think platychila will be pretty popular once the price drops to a reasonable level. I agree, though. Jac is a better buy since platys do their pitchers like eymae (rather typical spotty lowers w/ spectacular uppers).

-D. Lybrand

Yeah my N. jacquelineae does wonderful in my highland GH which is about 75F to 80F in the day time in the summer. It will cool off to about 55 to 60 at night.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

what temps do you have yours at Pyro?

Greetings,

I was recently in the same position.  I wanted a lowii hybrid.  N. lowii x truncata was available so I chose that one.  I anticipate that it will grow quite well under intermediate conditions.  I would have also been equally satisfied with N. lowii x ventricosa or N. lowii x veitchii...they are all beautiful.  

Any lowii hybrid will probably get very large, so that is another thing to take into consideration.  I just built a very large chamber and it's going to have only 5 plants in it.  I want room for them to grow to their full potential.

Brian

Get a N. x Medusa
This plant looks almost exactly like N. sibuyanansis, but tolerates warmer temps.
Mine is growing in a lowland terrerium that dosn't go under 70f.
It's doing great.

lowii x truncata will increase in size very quickly. It's mind boggling, considering the slow speed of its parents.

Lowii x veitchii has proven an easy a fast grower for me, even faster than lowii x truncata. Here are a couple of pics of the most recently opened pitcher:

lowii%20x%20veitchii%2016Oct05_1.JPG

lowii%20x%20veitchii%2016Oct05_2.JPG

Cheers, Hamish

I've just bought a plant of stenophylla x veitchii, a hybrid that looks pretty cool in 'Neps of Borneo'.
I wonder if it does the leaf wrap-around thing?
Cheers,
Tony.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Oct. 16 2005,2:44)]Lowii x veitchii has proven an easy a fast grower for me, even faster than lowii x truncata. Here are a couple of pics of the most recently opened pitcher:
Great shots, Hamish! Love the light coming through the lid!

Thanks Hans, more luck than good planning. Most of the time when I take shots of plants higher up in the greenhouse, it ends up overexposed. Makes it a pain to take pictures of upper pitchers of my more interesting species.

SydneyNeps,

That's a nice looking lowii x veitchii. Any chance of seeing a photo of lowii x truncata for a comparison?

Brian

Here is my lowii x truncata. Would love to see some others!
398low_x_trunc1-med.JPG
398low_x_trunc_pit3-med.JPG

Back