Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alata

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock is right - if the tap water is working, then it's OK. But if you can get distilled, reverse osmosis, or deionized water, they might work better. Distilled water and reverse osmosis water can be found at a lot of grocery stores here in the US, so I imagine you should be able to find it in Denmark. Water purified in these ways reduce the strain on the roots of the plants.
    Your plant looks very healthy. How long have you had it? It would probably appreciate having those dead leaves trimmed off.
    Simply put, you have an easy variety of Nep to care for, so you don't have to take special precautions. Just give it what all Nepenthes like. Because your plant is making pitchers (hangers) and appears healthy, you should be doing everything just about right. There are a number of good Nepenthes sites with instructions:
    Neps Around the House
    The Nepenthes FAQ from the CP FAQ
    Neps for Everyone
    Barry Rice's CP FAQ
    Nep University
    I'm not familiar with any CP sites that aren't in English because I don't read any other languages well enough. I know that Nepenthes cultivation is very popular in Europe, though, so you should be able to find some instructions in Danish or another language if you need.
    There are a few guidelines that all of the sites above explain. Mostly, Nepenthes need to stay wet but not stand in water at the same time. They can't have normal plant fertilizer. They need special potting mixes, not the kind for ordinary houseplants. Besides for those few things, Nepenthes are very hardy plants and will take care of themselves.
    Welcome to the forums, and good luck!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use tap once in a while too when special water is low. doesnt seem to hurt the plants either. make sure the chlorine level is low too.
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes as long as its below 100 or even 150ppm it is fine. Might want to raise the humidity and lighting on that too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12