What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?

i sorta bought this highland "alata" today but wont be getting it until about a week or so. the vendor says that its like alata but produces bigger pitchers than alata. there is a chance that is a new species.  to me this sorta looks like the other form of copelandii, i think its the pasian form? what do you think. on the same order i got some cuttings of an alata lowlander that produces blood red pitchers.  does anyone have this type of alata lowland?  please post pics! thanks!!!

834Exotic_Plant_Show_6_1_.jpg

I think I have it but mine is still very small as its only a cutting.. Dont know the size of pitchers yet but from the pictures I have seen on my plant I think it has the same shape and color.

mine?
Its wase labeled Lowland Alata and I got it from cindy..

fc3srx713b, that could very well be alata. There are more forms of alata than you can shake a stick at. Very variable species. Also, it could be an alata hybrid of some sort. Often commercial nurseries call a plant after it's monther, regardless of the father's herritage.

I think schloaty's right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Often commercial nurseries call a plant after it's monther, regardless of the father's herritage.

And not even! To my horror, when I bought a N. 'Rebecca Soper' (ventricosa x ramispina), it was labelled as Nepenthes alata, with a picture of x ventrata!!

Ah how they enrage yet make me laugh at the same time. Not many things in life can do that (well, at least not in mine
biggrin.gif
).

Cheers,

Amori

Maybe it was just a 'Rebecca Soper' in an old pot that a DeRoose faux alata had come in?

-D. Lybrand

well i just got the plant in yesterday! looks great!!! the first photo isnt the plant i got just what i wanted to get but ill make sure to post pics today. the only diff was the color, it has more red in it and still has the bulbos bottom. funny thing is that i asked for aristo seeds and this plant was sent potted but the pot was coverd in plastic to keep the humidity up. i opend it and i saw about 10+ seedlings there. i have to call the vendor today and have to ask him if this was accidental or on purpose. but who knows it could be anything!!!! so im keeping them!!!! :p
also with that order i got 2 nice lowland alatas that i never seen before. ill make sure to post pic of that.

see this is what i got! what is it?
849N_Alata_5_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_3_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_2_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_1_1_.jpg

here is the lowlander alata that i got. has anyone seen this type of alata?
849N_Alata_Lowland_4_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_Lowland_3_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_Lowland_2_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_Lowland_1_1_.jpg

Yep. It was my favourite alata back at the Frederik Meijer Gardens in Michigan...
blues.gif
Man do I miss that place.

Cheers

this lowland alata has a "domed" lid, if anyone hasnt noticed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Oct. 22 2005,9:55)]
849N_Alata_5_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_3_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_2_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_1_1_.jpg
well i just couldnt help myself to get some more of these! im getting 2 more.  i really dont like 2 of the same kind but the vendor told me that these are seed grown and the 2 that he has left are different from each other and different from the one he sold me a while back.  they pretty much have the same shape but i think the one that i have which is picture is a little more marron colored.  the other two, one is a little more lighter not as dark as the one pictured, and the other is splotched but has a bit more green.  he also told me that one is 3 feet high and the other is about the same size like the one i already have.  he also gave me the same price as before, even for that one that is 3ft high! WOW!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
i have to wait till monday when he shipps out then wait another 2-3 days more to get to my place. ill be posting up pics asap!

i think one should look like this...

834Exotic_Plant_Show_6_1_.jpg

Back