What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Record for seed germination

I've been growing Nepenthes from seed for many years now, and I've found that they can take several months to germinate, but that good, fresh seed can take as little 28 days (well, for the highland species that I grow, anyway).

But I sowed a heap of seed of various highland species on 1 October, and wasn't expecting anything to happen until early November, or the last few days of October if I were lucky. Imagine my surprise when I checked the seed to see if there were any fungal problems today, to discover that the lowii seed had already started to germinate! After 13 days!

Anyone else had seed germinate that quickly?

Hamish

You do so highland seed in typical highland conditions right?

well Hamish it is interesting. I like to know if you kept record on the plant vitality when flowering,temperature,humidity,wind conditions,substrates and Ph level. Do post here.hank you.

Nepenthes in Sarawak,It is flowering time.I saw in an area where raflesiana,gracilia and mirabilis are all blooming.I will go back for more pix and post for viewing coming days...Robert

Actually, this lot of seed I've been a bit less disciplined with. I often put true highland species seed/seedlings in a fridge overnight (which I've done for aristolochioides and villosa). But this time I left the lowii on the kitchen windowsill, so it has been a pretty constant 20C. Now it has started to germinate, I'll start giving it cooler nights.

It was sowed on pure sphagnum, as that's how I grow all my seedlings.

What makes it more intriguing is that I only noticed it today on the thirteenth day, a couple of the seedlings look like they started to sprout a day or two ago.

Hamish

And I'd just like to add that macrophylla only took a few days longer. I checked last night and noticed the first seed starting to sprout. I don't know why it is, but I've never had highland seed germinate this quickly. Not that I'm complaining of course. And hopefully some of the seedlings will turn out to be Trusmadiensis.

Maybe they have got some kind of stratisfaction on the way to you.
Maybe there are more ways of stratisfaction then we know.
Just look at the penicillin discover..A coinsidense...

Nice, my macrophylla seeds germinated after 3 weeks. I think highland seeds need cooler nights but do not an extreme drop in temperature. For me highland seeds germinated more quickly than lowland seeds as I have my set-up near to a window that is 24/7 open all year round. Even in summer there is a day/night difference...

My highland seed have usually taken about 28 days or more to germinate. I had aristo start germinating at 28 days, but some veitchii (fresh from the pod) take more than 3 months. Other species such as tentaculata, villosa, burbidgeae and inermis have taken more than 6 weeks. Normally it is the lowland seeds like bicalcarata and gracilis that germinate after only 10 days or so. But I'm not complaining about the lowii and macrophylla. There are still another 5 species I'm waiting for action on, but I'm sure they'll start in the next week or so.

Back