What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hirusta x veichtii

Well, what can I say? I am very surprised, but today I look at one of my hirusta x veichtii cuttings (got it from Capslock awhile back in a giveaway) has a flower stalk. I have a few questions about it.
1. How do I know if the flowers are male or female?
2. Does hirusta x veichtii normally flower in cultivation?
3. The plant is about 4.5 inches in diameter. Is it to small to flower as I don't want to lose it?

It is amazing how I can get a small cutting of this plant to produce a flower and I can't even get my ventrata to produce a flower at all.

Hey cool! It's not that suprising since that cutting came from a six foot vine that was probably ready to flower. My red ventricosa just flowered, too, so if it's female I can send pollen!

Is it too small? I don't think so. I had a really small maxima cutting flower a while back and it seemed to take it OK. Is it growing well? Was the cutting the top-cutting or is it growing from an offshoot?

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 15 2005,9:01)]Hey cool! It's not that suprising since that cutting came from a six foot vine that was probably ready to flower. My red ventricosa just flowered, too, so if it's female I can send pollen!

Is it too small? I don't think so. I had a really small maxima cutting flower a while back and it seemed to take it OK. Is it growing well? Was the cutting the top-cutting or is it growing from an offshoot?

Capslock
It was the top-cutting. It is growing really well. How can you tell if it is female or not?

Neat, let me know whether is it male or female I have a N. hirsute x veitchii I got a while back from Capslock. It would be from the same plant right Capslock?

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Capslock, useful pics, yes.

But......the site also says of Nepenthes:

'During Spring, Summer and Autumn sit it in a saucer of water, changing the water frequently. The water should cover the drainage holes of the pot. If your water is good enough to drink straight from the tap, then this is alright to use on your plant'.

and

'During winter your Nepenthes will go into their dormancy period. They will slow down in growth. Do not worry. This is a natural occurrence and the plant must go through this period in order to stay alive'.

I'd regard the first quote as dubious at best, but the second is just plain wrong.
Cheers,
T.

I have a hirstua x veitchii from seed from EP. It is a female this is what my plant looks like.
nep7001.jpg

Michael

I have a male 'Holland Hybrid' and dark red tobaica in spike. Here a pics of male and female ventricosa in bud. You should be able to tell before they open.

Male
398DCP_0286.JPG

female
398n_vent_female.JPG

Basically the male bud is a sphere and the female bud is more oblong

Good heavens Tony! I just googled the topic and found some images that looked good to illustrate the flowers. I never read the site. That is terrible advice!!! LOL! Dormancy? Huh? The tray method??? It's an outrage!

Capslock

By the way, here are some pics of the parent plant:

N_hirsuta_x_veitchi5.sized.jpg

N_hirsuta_x_veitchi7.sized.jpg

N_hirsuta_x_veitchi9.sized.jpg

N_hirsuta_x_veitchi12.sized.jpg

Capslock

Back