What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings

Hi,
I have a couple of unrotted cuttings that arrived prepped(cut and pre-dipped, ready for sphagnum) that are looking a bit limp. They have been inserted for a couple of weeks in baggies. Do any full leaves need to be cut in half, or ....does the inserted end need to be re-cut?
Any ideas?
Can you tell I have not had a lot of experience rooting cuttings for all my 25 years of growing, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

I don't much on cuttings, since I never attempted to try a cutting. But here are some links that could be helpful

Pictorial tour

Yet, another pictorial tour

The best way imo is to go to search and type in cuttings or basal shoots, and search in only the nepenthes forum (obviously :p) and remember to put from the beginning.Also, I think you are suppose to trim the leaves to cut down on humidity.

If the cut end looks brown, I would recut it. Also try misting the leaves a bit to raise the humidity and make sure the sphagnum is nice and wet.

When I do cuttings I put the pot with the cutting in a bag and twist tie the top shut. It helps reduce transpiration.
-Nick

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Oct. 18 2005,9:05)]If the cut end looks brown....
flush it down......jk
smile_m_32.gif

Not necessarily, you don't want to recut a callused over cut end, it makes more work for the plant and takes more energy out of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ Oct. 18 2005,1:51)]When I do cuttings I put the pot with the cutting in a bag and twist tie the top shut.  It helps reduce transpiration.
-Nick
They are in sealed zip-lock bags, so the humidity should be 100%.

Cheers,

Joe

if threy' sealed in a bag with 100% humidty and no air movement that is a prime environment for fugus. I would check to make sure any fungus is inhibiting the cutting from rooting. This is why I often use a rooting agent with anti-fungal properties.

I believe they arrived dipped in anti-fungal rooting hormone already. The PM is no longer there...
Are you suggesting I pull them out and see what the cut end looks like?

Cheers,

Joe

How long have they been in there? If they are looking very limp, something is wrong and should be investigated.

Back