Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rafflesiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

on my recent trip to Lundu,a town 45 mins drive from Bau,and driving past the Gading National Park(the place to see Rafflesia(a parastic plant of the world's biggest flower) i took a road leading to an isolated abandon logging road.Reaching an open flat land with no trees not typical of rainforest,only short stunted trees and bushes took residence.The ground were mostly white sand with stream carrying brackish water towards south china sea.Here rafflesiana were thriving and growing madly all over the place,their pitchers clinging to anything available up the stunted tree and bushes.I have to be careful walking over some of the places as many young raff plants were growing,carpeting the place.The place is very hot,humid with winds blowing from the sea a mile away.The raff plants grows in the open,with minimal shade.

....barren landscape

...my native companion sporting the typical Borneon coconut haircut admiring gigantea green form.

rafflesiana gigantea upper dangling over the stunted tree.Notice the white sandy path, lower left of photo.

..common type aerial raffs

more pics of aerial raffs and ant(polyrachis sp)harvesting nectar

..lower raffs

..aerial raffs spotting yellowish peristome

..flowering raffs

As expected there are some gracilis grow among the raffs

..and hybrid of either raffs x gracilis or raffs x mirabilis.Experienced growers,which is which?

Feedbacks and comments are welcome....Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks rbjong, I've been waiting to see some [wonderful] photos of rafflesiana in the wild!

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very interesting that you stated that they are growing near a brackish water source. It would be safely stated that the soil is probably rich in salt from accumulation.
    I have been noticing a trend among many lowlanders which grow near the sea. Is their high tolerance to salt (i.e. sp. Viking, thorelii, gracilis, and now rafflesiana).
    Plus their high concentrations of calcium from the sand, etc. Not so much with regards to growing in a peaty substrate.

Please post more pics showing these kinds of growth factors. They are an amazing discovery to the current thoughts on growing these plants.

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert, I'd say the last pic is raff x mirabilis.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, do I love raffs, especially the uppers! But what I love more are your pics of them ! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Robert
    Stunning pictures,Gotta love Raffs,the 4th picture of the uppers is lovely [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] and that hybrid really nice.
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi robert,
    those are really beautiful plants, and I was shocked that giant form also grows in the open! I thought it prefered shade! What is the leaf span of the giant form and typical forms? How about inflorescence and stem?
    Great pics,
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Robert,
    Once again, your pictures are not only wonderful photographs, but shed so much light on the variations and environments of these amazing plants. Keep it going!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast