Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question from the new guy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Home Depot brought in a bunch of Neps that have been identified by others as being ventrata.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which nepenthes did you get from **********? Maybe compare the two plants and see if there are differences.

It is also hard to ID a young (small) nepenthes. Sometimes the pitchers don't take on their identifying characteristics until they get a little maturity.

Oh by the way...welcome to the forums! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I hope you stick around, learn some new things and have fun.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I don't think it likely to be ventrata, as what I have seen from the Midwest, the ventrata are actually labled "N. alata." However, the others are usually labled N. Coccinea or N. Miranda.
    SRduggins may be onto something with the Gubler thing, as I "think" from their site they used to say "Nepenthes Hybrid".
    I just checked and you don't seem to have access to specific info, but they do say:

"Nepenthes is a jungle vine found growing in the wild in Indonesia and Madagascar. There are approximately twenty species that still exist."

Wow! Look at all the extictions that have occured recently! Last I knew it was around 80 species, lol!

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics of the upper pitchers. They really look better than this, just really hard to capture their depth with flat pictures.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like those uppers [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Nepenthes rafflesiana from **********.com and yes the one I can't figure species on is from Gublers.com Home Depo. I am not to knee on the Pitcher Plants so I'll defiantly stick around. These Pitcher are bigger then the Nepenthes rafflesiana ones and the plant is the same size.

Also another question ,if I have a pitcher that leaks should I cut it off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also forgot to mention I have them both together in a ten gallon tank on a slab of concrete with distilled water on the sides and a screen taped-up top to try and create humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are pretty tough. I just grow mine in hanging baskets outdoors, but increasing the humidity is a good thing, just don't stress out about it. Don't cut anything off until it is dry and brown.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast