What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question from the new guy

Ok ,here's the question I bought a Nepenthes from Home Depo and it said Hybrid SSP. I don't have a means to post pics yet so if anyone has an idea what it might be that would be great.

The leaves are slender and it has 2 inch pots at only three inches the plant itself.

I bought one last week from petflytrap and the pitchers are much smaller. I just want to know the species it could be so I know what to do and if there is a possibilty they might hybrid.
I put them in the some terranium.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks PiranhaPlant and funny how it does say Hybrid SSP

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JohnC @ Oct. 21 2005,8:57)]...and funny how it does say Hybrid SSP.
yeah 'cause ssp is for sub species

ssp is for subspecies, dude!
biggrin.gif
smile_m_32.gif

laugh.gif
my mistake. so then it still would be a hybrid?

Is this from Gubler's Orchids? That would be the easiest way to narrow it down. Although I don't know which hybrid Gubler's is shipping, it obviously has maxima in it. I have tried it in lowland and highland conditions and had better luck growing it as a highlander, but I'm sure intermediate would be fine too. In my lowland chamber ther pitchers started growing distorted. I have grown them for 5 years and have some pics of what it may look like as it gets bigger.
398home_depot.JPG
398home_depot2.JPG

I have a new pic of a nice upper I can post later if you're interested.

My Home Depot brought in a bunch of Neps that have been identified by others as being ventrata.

Which nepenthes did you get from PetFlyTrap?  Maybe compare the two plants and see if there are differences.

It is also hard to ID a young (small) nepenthes.  Sometimes the pitchers don't take on their identifying characteristics until they get a little maturity.

Oh by the way...welcome to the forums!  
biggrin.gif
 I hope you stick around, learn some new things and have fun.

smile.gif

You know, I don't think it likely to be ventrata, as what I have seen from the Midwest, the ventrata are actually labled "N. alata." However, the others are usually labled N. Coccinea or N. Miranda.
SRduggins may be onto something with the Gubler thing, as I "think" from their site they used to say "Nepenthes Hybrid".
I just checked and you don't seem to have access to specific info, but they do say:

"Nepenthes is a jungle vine found growing in the wild in Indonesia and Madagascar. There are approximately twenty species that still exist."

Wow! Look at all the extictions that have occured recently! Last I knew it was around 80 species, lol!

Cheers,

Joe

Here are some pics of the upper pitchers. They really look better than this, just really hard to capture their depth with flat pictures.
398gubler_w_crab.JPG
398gubler_upper_2.JPG

I do like those uppers
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

I bought Nepenthes rafflesiana from Petflytrap.com and yes the one I can't figure species on is from Gublers.com Home Depo. I am not to knee on the Pitcher Plants so I'll defiantly stick around. These Pitcher are bigger then the Nepenthes rafflesiana ones and the plant is the same size.

Also another question ,if I have a pitcher that leaks should I cut it off?

Also forgot to mention I have them both together in a ten gallon tank on a slab of concrete with distilled water on the sides and a screen taped-up top to try and create humidity.

These are pretty tough. I just grow mine in hanging baskets outdoors, but increasing the humidity is a good thing, just don't stress out about it. Don't cut anything off until it is dry and brown.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Oct. 22 2005,6:18)]Here are some pics of the upper pitchers. They really look better than this, just really hard to capture their depth with flat pictures.
398gubler_w_crab.JPG
398gubler_upper_2.JPG
Just saw this for the first time...wow that is a nice plant! This is why I have been buying any and all neps i find in the hardware stores lately, becuase you never know what you are getting until they get larger.

I have a few cuttings I could trade, if anyone is interested, PM me.

Did you notice the spider eating the fly in the first picture? I don't mind her stealing a little food, but when the pitcher started to dry up, she was gone.

Back