What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where can i find a n. bicalcarata

I've been wanting one of these Nepenthes for a long time and I can't seem to find anyone who sells it. Anyone have a suggestion?

Also, I would like some details on how to grow them. Are they picky? Would they survive in just any old terrarium?

Last I knew Trent was selling them Sunbelleexotics.com

They would outgrow a terrarium as they get to be quite large. They can also be picky about environmental changes and/or repotting.

Thanks for the suggestion Wolf. It looks like they're out of them right now, which is a shame. Any other ideas?

srduggins: How fast do they grow? I'd prefer to keep one in a terrarium since I almost exclusively use terrariums for growing.

Leopardgecko how big are ur terrarium?
They can outgrow a small terrarium in a few months

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Oct. 22 2005,4:35)]I'd be growing the plant in a 10 gallon tank.
That terrarium will not be of sufficeint size. I would be surprized if it lasted three or four months (if under proper conditions). They're also very sensitive to low humidity and to drops in temperature. I had one severly die back when my heaters died and it got too cold.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Oct. 22 2005,5:04)]They're also very sensitive to low humidity and to drops in temperature. I had one severly die back when my heaters died and it got too cold.
How cold was that, if I may inquire? CPers here in Taiwan tell me bicals tolerate occasional dips down to 45. I'm asking because my neps are facing their first subtropical winter in a greenhouse, and I'd like to know how high to crank the heater. We won't have frosts, but in January/February we do get lows of 38.

Thanks

Hans

My bicalcarata easily survived 4 consecutive days of 40F (and almost total darkness) during a power cut after a winter storm. It did stop growing during those days though, but it seemed to handle the temps well - better than my family and I - and recovered quickly.

Cheers

My bical experienced three nights of about mid 50'sº and it dropped its pitchers and some leaves died. This was on a very small plant however (less then 4 inches). It was my only lowlander that reacted so drasticly from that equipment failer.

Good point Jess - I forgot to mention my bicalc was already well hardened and about a foot across when the above mentioned event occured.

Cheers

Thanks, guys, that gives me hope! Mine are quite large, too.

Back