Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaptable highlanders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum, (ive lurked on here for a while admiring everyones incredible plants!) but i finally decided to sign up a few days ago.

I've been growing Lowland nepenthes for about 6 years now, last year i went out on a limb and bought a few highland/intermediate hybrids (N. lowii x ventricosa red) (N. tomomi X Tiveyi) (N. truncata x ventricosa), I figured the N. lowii x ventricosa red would probably die but i had to try it anyway, To my complete surprise a year later its thriving, as are the other 2 plants.

The only other Highland/Intermediate plants I've grown are the more "adaptable" common ones (ventricosa, maxima, sanguinea, khasiana)....
    I was wondering if there are any other tolerant and adaptable highland species/hybrids out there? Ive always been afraid to try Highlanders but now I'm curious about trying others.

My growing conditions are roughly 85F/29C in the day, 70F/21C at night, "way above what i would consider highland"
    I think my growing temps may even be above what most would consider internediate.

here are a few of my older plants,

bicalcarata

(my not so gigantic) rafflesiana gigantea

dyneriana

truncata

Any advice on highland species/hybrids i might be able to grow under my conditions would be appreciated.

thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Donn,

There are many adaptable highlanders out there....your best bet is to look for altitude ranges on the plants. Some that are clasified as highlanders can live fairly far down the mountain. Sanguinea is a good example.

Also, any highland/lowland hybrids are usually a safe bet. I have an N. x 'Miranda' which is virtually un killable. Survived a light frost (yikes! That was a mistake...and only overnight), and survived out (rediculous) heatwave this summer with flying colors. The best part is that the plant is also large & showy! Best of both worlds.

Edit: Forgot to say: Great plants you have there! Looks like your thumb is green enough to start branching out (NPI).

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Donn
    Looking at that you dont need any advice,those plants look very well grown.
    bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

Schloaty,.. Thats good advice looking at the altitude ranges of the plants in question ( i never really though about that) And also safety in growing highland/lowland hybrids,...Im really anxious to try lowii x truncata. or even truncata x aristolochioides,.. i love aristolochioides but my growing conditions are waaay to warm to grow it

Chesara, Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

In the next few days i'll take more pics of some of my other plants, and post them.

thanks again guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have to ask...
    where did you get N. lowii x ventricosa red?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @nd

I sent you a Pm [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this place:
    lowland approved highlanders

and very nice looking plants. Lets see a pic of your well chosen highlanders
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. fusca 'Sarawak' tolerates our summer weather (lows typically 65F+; highs typically 85F+) as well as my N. ventricosa and N. maxima do. Plus it tolerates stronger light and keeps pitchering in lower light.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast