What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gymnaphora

schloaty

Staff member
Hi all,

I recently aquired this species, and the available info via google is slight.

I did read that although this is technically a highland, it can adapt to lowland conditions (though I suppose not ultra-lowland). Anyone care to comment on this? Anyone ever grow this plant long period in lowland or intermediate conditions?

Also, has anyone experimented with or know the low end limmit of required humidity levels?

N. gymnaphora has a huge altitudinal distribution from lowland to very highland. Charles Clarke's book lists it as 600m - 2800m - hence the reports that it can "adapt" to lowland conditions. I don't know if most clones are adaptable to such a temperature range or if there are highland and lowland varieties in the trade. Hopefully others will have that answer. Most of the examples I have seen were growing in low highland altitudes (probably around 1000-1500m).

I love gymnaphora's tubby lower pitchers and think it is highly underrated - probably because it is one of the most common species in Sumatra and Java.

Rich

Hi David
Havent seen you about much lately,loads of additions to the collection i imagine??
Bye for now julian

Hey Ches, Oh, I've been around - lurking. Mostly drive by log-ins. Been a LEEETLE bit busy at work!

Thanks for the info, Witz.

Now, anyone know how forgiving it is of lower humidity?

It can handle sustained humidity at 30% easily if mine is anything to go by. HAve not tried the lowland growing however.

Thanks Pyro.

Looks like I may give it a go in my low/intermediate set up. Cools off at night to mid to high 60's, and humidity is usually over 50%. Worth a shot!

Back