Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got a chest freezer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Oct. 25 2005,9:19)]The problem I see with the freezer chest is it's limited space. You list 7 species, but really only 2 would fit in there, and then only while they are young. What will you do when they outgrow their space?

Brian
    by a bigger freezer, duh! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] actually i doubt aristo would out grow that space. the cutting i have is only forming uppers and its tiny, MAYBE a 4 inch leaf span. the one of Jerremiahs i saw in person i doubt was 12 inches across and it was a good sized aristo from my understanding. hamata and ephippiata can put on lots of size fairly fast if your not starting from plants in 2 inch pots.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's really no need for me to worry about space right now. I'm just using this freezer as temporary growth chamber for when they arrive. The problem will be space eventually but not for three years or so and I'm trying to find the smallest seedlings possible because I for one think it's more rewarding to grow a plant from a 2-4cm plant to a monster. I understand everyone's concern about the space avaliable for them but I'm not a person who would start something and not go through with it. I don't work to pay off a new car like most teens do, I work to grow my plants and to save up for the car. So yes rattler_mt, buy bigger freezer.
    EDIT: I'm also just planning on getting rajah for now and villosa when the opportunity arrives. Those are the two I would like to grow the most, the others are just icing on the cake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was saying theyre extremely expensive, I hope your freezer turns out nicely
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a good experience setting this one up. You'll learn how to coordinate
    all the different parameters.

Keep in mind that N. rajah (and some of the others) have the potential to look like this (scroll down a little): big honking N. rajah

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man where's Jeremiah when you need him?
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much good to go, at least with the planning. I still need to get a thermostat, fan, timers, the cover, and a pump for the auto-mist system. I work in an aquarium store so getting a few things will be quite easy and cheap. Anyone want to recommend a good thermostat that's water proof?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I really like this thermostat http://www6.mailordercentral.com/igcusas....CT-1000

I have grown all the plants you listed in a freezer and to be honest the only plant that did noticeably better were N. rajah and N. villosa. The N. rajah out grew the freezer in just under two years. It went from a 3" plant to 18 inches now it is just less than 3'. So I had to build a highland greenhouse for it.

Here is a photo of it I took 9-26-04

Basically everything you see there no longer fits in the freezer other then the N. villoas.

A few other that did well in the freezer are N. jacquelineae, N. muluensis, and N. macrophylla.

Out of the plant you listed I would strongly advise not putting N. hamata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata, or N. glabrata in the freezer.

I would also be very careful not to let N. rajah freeze. Last December my highland GH got down to 28 F and surprisingly N. rajah was one of the few highland Nepenthes that has any problems. Before the frost that N. rajah had pitchered on every leaf and the largest pitcher was about 6". My N. rajah is yet to make a nice pitcher since the frost although it one pitcher is starting to swell and it now about 4".

Thanks
    -Jeremiah-

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. Maybe I should just stick to rajah and villosa then. I really don't want any trouble with the others and I really don't want to have to grow, say hamata really well in winter but have it fry under 30% humidity in the summer. I want to keep the night time temps at around 40-45 (maybe too high for villosa) so I don't freeze rajah like you said. Morning temps will be around 70F. So 45F-70F, sound good? Not too cold for rajah and not too hot for villosa. If you don't mind me asking, what are your temps in the chamber?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast