Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got a chest freezer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

No problem.

That is exactly what I keep my freezer at. Right now I'm not using it since the outdoor temperatures are plenty cold here in Colorado this time of the year. I only use mine in the summer then I don't have to cool the GH quite as much.

Thanks
    -Jeremiah-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you built that greenhouse just for rajah? sounds just like the hair brained kind of thing my wife always accuses me of doing [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol well yeah.

My parents were really good about it but I paid for it all with money I made over the summer so that helped.

thanks
    -Jeremiah-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the use of a chest freezer to grow true ultra-highland plants to be very successful. So much so, in fact, that I wrote an article about it which was published in CPN a few years ago. Species which I have observed to benefit most are NN. villosa, aristolochioides, diatas, murudensis, muluensis, talengensis, and X kinabaluensis.

Overall, I think that if you want to grow N. villosa well, this technique is an absolute must. Currently, my largest specimen is producing pitchers which are about 15 cm (6 inches) in height, and it has easily tripled in size in just three years. If I get a chance to photograph it again sometime soon, I'll try to post a new image (if some of you would care to see it again).

By virtue of my experience, I suspect that virtually anyone can succeed with this plant in this fashion. However, if you cannot accomodate this species in this manner, I urge you to forego growing it, for failure is otherwise likely. It is also very slow growing, even under nearly ideal conditions, so it is not a good choice for the very young, or for those who are not settled.

BTW, for reference, I've set the thermostat in my setup to cool to around 3 C (37 to 38 F) at night. During the day, temperatures rarely exceed 20 C (68 F). This regime has proved adequate for all the species listed above.

Finally, I have never tried growing N. rajah this way. It has always grown quite well for me with temps from about 10 C (50 F) at night, up to 30 C (86 F) during the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (neps @ Oct. 29 2005,1:53)]... and X kinabaluensis. ...
    If I get a chance to photograph it again sometime soon, I'll try to post a new image (if some of you would care to see it again).
    Hi Jeff,

of course there is someone wanting to see a picture of this plant as well!

Be careful always to use two thermostats in series for such equipment! If the main thermostat fails the temperatures easily go below freezing levels - and there won't be much left from your plants afterwards. A very simple but extremely reliable one like the ones used in a fridge should be safest.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Be careful always to use two thermostats in series for such equipment! If the main thermostat fails the temperatures easily go below freezing levels - and there won't be much left from your plants afterwards. A very simple but extremely reliable one like the ones used in a fridge should be safest.
    You're absolutely right, Joachim! An excellent point, and one I neglected to mention!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Jeremiah,

You said:
    I would strongly advise not putting N. hamata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata, or N. glabrata in the freezer

Why,Cos it's too cold for those Nepenthes ?
    Which temp. do you suggest for Hamata or Glabrata for exemple ?
    Does 5 C (41 F) will be correct ?

And you said:
    A few other that did well in the freezer are N. jacquelineae, N. muluensis, and N. macrophylla.

Do you see other Pitchers plant ?, cos i was thinking about Inermis or Dubia too.

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

regards,

Kinabalu
    I climbed Kinabalu, and i'll go soon again....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] I would strongly advise not putting N. hamata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata, or N. glabrata in the freezer

Why,Cos it's too cold for those Nepenthes ?
    Which temp. do you suggest for Hamata or Glabrata for exemple ?
    Does 5 C (41 F) will be correct ?

And you said:
    A few other that did well in the freezer are N. jacquelineae, N. muluensis, and N. macrophylla.
    Hope you don't mind if I attempt to answer your question. I cannot speak for Jeremiah, but I can tell you why I don't grow the plants you listed (NN. hamata, lowii, ephippiata, glabrata, and macrophylla) in a freezer. Simply put, it's too cold. These species seem to do quite well, in my experience, with overnight lows of 10 to 12 C (50 to 54 F), possibly even a bit warmer. Daytime highs are around 30 C (86 F). I've been growing all these species for years quite successfully with this temperature regime, so it seems reasonable to assert that it will work for you, too.

However, NN. jacquelineae and muluensis are grown in the freezer to provide the very cool nights which I've found them to need. I do not keep them as cool as N. villosa, though; typically, overnight lows are in the neighborhood of 5 C (41 F).

Hope that this information is helpful to you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast