What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a second opinion!

here is my veitchii lowlander x highlander. well the pics explain themselves. is this dangerous and eventually kill the plant? or will it roll through?
849N_Veitchii_Infection_3_1_.jpg

849N_Veitchii_Infection_2_1_.jpg

849N_Veitchii_Infection_1_1_.jpg

I have something similar on a plant I recently received. My diagnosis was red spot fungus. I don't think it's deadly to the plant. I ordered some clearlys 3336 from PFT, but haven't tried it yet.

Brian

darn your plants are wet!
I have something like that on my truncata. But its very little..

My raff has got this chicken pox problem as well, strangely none of my other neps have got this problem...
Waiting for the solution
biggrin.gif

May be not enough magnesium in the soil...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Oct. 28 2005,6:25)]darn your plants are wet!
this was at night after i got done misting that why they are wet

Yep, you have the plague! It will spread to all of your plants eventually if left untreated, and in some cases, it can kill them. The Cleary's from PFT should work very well. the spots you have will not go away, but it should keep it from spreading any further. I suggest you use it on all of your plants wether they have spots or not, they may still have the fungus. You should notice a huge improvement in a few months.
Hope that helps
Robin
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] It will spread to all of your plants eventually if left untreated

I emailed Tony about the possibility of red spot fungus spreading throughout my collection and he said it spreads mainly by water splashing from the leaves of one plant to another, and not neccessarily through the air.

I believe that the chance of infection can be reduced by not having water remain on the leaves for periods of time.

Brian

i recieved an N. phillipenienis or something like that from cooks. one of my favorite plants right now. looked exactly like that but all the new foliage that grew in the following months is normal. i didn't treat it.

That looks like what happened to the truncata I recieved from JLAP after I put it out in the sun. Are you sure it isn't reddening from more light? After looking at the photo again mine looks like the big patch of red on the other leaf in the middle picture.

well no dead zones are on it but it does receive full afternoon sun after about 45-40 degrees angle.

I think it's tough to tell if it's a fungal infection, or a response to high light. I see photos of Nepenthes in the wild, and their leaves are often covered with orange and red spots.

Is the plant new to your collection? Because you grow your plants outside, I'd think that the good air circulation would prevent fungal infections. I'd wait to see how the new growth responds.

Brian

on you must send me a pic of that truncata next spring JB!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 31 2005,5:00)]on you must send me a pic of that truncata next spring  JB!
which one?

Just about all Nepenthes you get from nurseries will be infected with one or more fungal infections. They are absolutely pandemic. If plants are healthy and growing in good conditions, you will rarely see any sign of it, maybe sometimes on older leaves as they start to fade, and the fungus attacks. But when plants ail, then the fungus will often assert itself.

In my experience, it is impossible to completely eradicate fungal infections with fungicides. The best you can hope for is to push the infection at bay long enough for the plant to regain health and fight it itself. Fungicides can often have detrimental effects of Neps (in some species spectacularly so), and they're also highly carcinogenic, so not the sorts of things you want to expose yourself to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Oct. 29 2005,7:42)]That looks like what happened to the truncata I recieved from JLAP after I put it out in the sun.
is this what you are talking about the truncata? this is the lowland outside that i have. even thoes parts of the leaves are turning pinkish red color. this is a big one too, 22"+

849N_Truncata_3_1_.jpg

The spotting is a fungus that manifests itself when the plant is subjected to low temperatures while the leaves are wet. It happens to lowlanders that get too cold. Raffs, most raff hybrids, amps, mirabilis, hookeriana, & merriliana are all especially prone to this problem. New growths will not show the spots if the plants are kept in warmer conditions- ie. temps at night above 60 F with the leaves dry, but in a humid environment.
Basically, the plant is fine.

Back