What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all,
had quite some nice pics, all relatively young plants, lowlanders, and grown outdoors (rather shady though) here in Singapore!

First up, merriliana, red variant
red3.jpg

Miranda uppers
Mirandaupper4.jpg

Always popular bicalcarata,
orange5.jpg

Sumatrana, this is the first pitcher, this plant is pretty slow, is this normal?
sumatrana1.jpg

Macrovulgaris, still small, but interesting lowlander/intermediate
macrovulgaris4.jpg

rafflesiana BE-99, with green merriliana
BE-996.jpg

tomoriana, very slow too
tomoriana1.jpg

campanulata, this one is also very fussy, does it like a wetter or looser/drier mix, can I assume 2nd? Does this usually grow as an eppiphyte or just in small amounts of soil?
camp1.jpg

in quite a bad shape!

germinating seedlings of mirabilis X xcoccinea, has anyone seen such a hybrid before, it is 'home-made' and I was guessing it should have been done before but cant find it on BobZ photofinder. Does anyone know how I can get info on this hybrid?
germination1.jpg

(SGD 0.50 has 1 inch diameter)

Lastly, one successful highlander grown here. (sorry but this is already and achievement for me  
confused.gif
)
sibuyanensis, about 1.5 cm only!
sibuyanensis3.jpg

Enjoy ! Please comment on how I can improve  
smile.gif

Thanks

Nice ones
biggrin.gif
What conditions do you have?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Oct. 28 2005,9:21)]Nice ones
biggrin.gif
What conditions do you have?
Hi,
my conditions are basically typical lowland 65-100 %humidity, 24-32 degrees C temps, and I use 50% shade cloth. But this time of the year is very wet and cloudy...
Thanks

Ok is it those temps all year round?

Hi Lam
Nice plants there,the Mirabilis x Coccinea should be an interesting cross,never seen it before so keep us posted with photos as they mature.
Bye for now julian

Very nice pics. Like Julian said, it'd be cool if you'd keep us posted on those hybrid seedlings- I imagine that they could turn out looking quite interesting!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Oct. 28 2005,10:36)]Ok is it those temps all year round?
Hi,
well we are located about 1.something degrees off the equator so the weather stays like that all the time... but there is a rainy season
smile.gif

I am also quite excited about the hybrid, even if it isnt new. But I think it would look more or less like a mirabilis 'red' with a striped peristome. (just a wild guess)
Thanks

Lam,nice pitchers u have.The campanulata needs wet but well drain soil of loose dead leaves and debris.That was my observation in one of the trip in central Borneo on sarawak side.

...Robert

True, sounds like it is being fertilized, but well drained.

Michael would be happy to know this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rbjong @ Oct. 31 2005,9:58)]Lam,nice pitchers u have.The campanulata needs wet but well drain soil of loose dead leaves and debris.That was my observation in one of the trip in central Borneo on sarawak side.

...Robert
wow,
you actually saw campanulata in natural habitat? What are the conditions like there? I saw the pictures of nearly vertical rock faces... tell us more, how large were the individual plants, they produce many basal shoots right? how large were most of the pitchers? flowers? Were the plants growing eppiphytic? In moss?
Thanks

well,slightly mossy on limestone cliff.Short tendril with pitchers more or less 6cm in length,the peristome diameter about 2cm wide.Produce basal by lateral growth.Pitchers are mostly green...Robert

Hi there,

I have been VERY successful with my campanulata. I have it growing in a mix of LFS and orchid mix (I'd say 2/3 LFS....orchid mix added for "chunk") in a regular flower pot. It's growing in my lowland tank (so humidity is fairly constant at at least 75% or 80%) under lights. I've had it for about 2 or 2 1/2 years, and it's gone from a 3" plant to a 6" or 7" plant (which is pretty big for a camp) with 5 pups (newest one just peeking out of the soil now). It flowered for me last year, and hasn't ever stopped pitchering....so I must be doing something right.

At any rate, I've heard that the pups aren't actual basal shoots, but the result of the "runners" (only nep to do this?), so I've been toying with the idea of repotting it in a strawberry pot.

I do not fertilize it, and I rarely feed it. The plant as a whole appreciates a meal, but if the bug is too big (and that means bigger than about 1/4"), it will rot the pitcher pronto.

Hope this helps

Back