What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uber new

Hello!
I am new to these forum.
I understand the power of the search tool, but the information is sometimes contradictory, and their are a few things that are specific to where I live. (plus I am lazy >;-D )

Well, anyway I live in the SC Piedmont, and it can get down to the high 20's, and reach as high as the high 90's, I was wondering if their were any nepenthes that could live outside?

If not, my house stays at about 76 in the summer, and 68 in the winter. Is their a way I can just hang them in my hobby closet?

If I can't , I would like to build a terrerium, what size would it need to be? Soil? light? and anything else that I need to know?

What will my daily/weekly/monthly/seasanol schedule be?
(as in feeding watering, and other stuff you do)

Also, what is the "easiest" beginne nepenthes?
How fast does this nepenthes grow?

Thsnk you, and I will enjoy readin all ya'll's responses!

Question nr 1
No they wont. Usuallynever give nepenthes degrees under 40F
With exeptions on ultra highlander which can get down to 37 F or something.

Question nr 2
Yes you could with raised humidity and some growlights.
Mostly lowland nepenthes as they would probably not get a temperature drop in the night.

Question nr 3
With Nepenthes they are easier grown in pots.
A terraria would be good but Nepenthes can outgrow them fast if they are not big enough.
I have a home built terraria thats 4' long 2' tall and 3' deep.
The more plants and space the more light you will need.
I have 4x36 Watts flouroscent tubes over mine. Im going to put up 2 or 4 more when my plants grows a little bigger.
Also the plants should be about 20 cm under the líghts.

I am not sure how the humidity will be in the closet, but South Carolina, in general, is a humid state, isn't it?

Cheers,

Joe

WOW! That was fast (I am impressed!)

Um, yeah it is so humid down here!!! OMG so humid! I hate it with every fiber of my bieng!! Like it will be miserable out, it'll feel so bad, and it is only 80 degrees! The humididty is so bad <sorry, i had to complai for a while!

Hi and welcome to the forums! Contradictory info you say? Hmmmm..... just hand around a discussuon forum long enough!

Anyways, some of us successfully keep hanging baskets of Neps in our homes, right near a window. Very easy, and slighly messy, with the daily watering, but as long as you have something underneath it to catch the draining water, it shouldn't be too messy. Very easy and very cheap!

The N. ventratas commonly seen at Home Depot and Lowes are easy beginner plants.

lol! yeah, I kinda was thinking before I searched that there was gonna be some...so after searching for a while, I decided to let the info come to me! LOL I am so lazy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CELACANTHr @ Oct. 30 2005,9:19)]I am so lazy!
And don't worry, we'll remind you of that trait!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

HEY!

Anyways, I found 2 species that I really like, and wanted to know
ye or ne?

copelandii
densiflora
ampullaria
sibuyanensis
raflessia
?

N. ventricosa, cocchinea, and sanguinea are reputed to be easy. I have an ampullaria cutting and I haven't killed - so that says something (about the plant!).

LOL!That is better than me! (then again I haven't tried yet!
smile_n_32.gif
)

so ()*&*&^$$@Q43 <LOL, that is the closest I could get to your name!

since you have kept both sibuyensis, and copelandii, which one would you suggest for a newbie?

If their was no difference in difficulty, I would choose the sibuyensis, but aesthetics isn't the best thing to base a decision on! LOL

Now another q! Could I keep the critter outside most of the year, and when it gets to warm/cold, could I just bring it back inside?
THANX YALL!

alot of people do that, bring it inside i mean.

i dont however. i like to cram everything i can into a terrarium and let them do their thing then i trade them away when they get to big.

hmmm...cramming isn't just for tests anymore! LOL
hmmm...I would, but I am not living in this humidity, bieng miserable every day, if I can't use it's one upside... CP's!!!

ooh you live in SC. very nice. it's really hot an humid here in GA too. the problem with that is that it can be 80% rh everyday for a week and then it dips too low for the plants to take and it ruins some tendrils.

on the flip side, terrarium-grown plants are often "softer" than plants grown in harsher conditions and if something goes wrong the terrarium plants wont recover as fast as harder plants. it's all up to you and you certainly can grow neps outside in warm weather.

have you seen Dionaea in it's natural habitat?

LOL, give me a sec to find out what that is, and I can tell you LOL!

nope, not yet, but that is because their are NO bogs around here, but they recently passed a law that made them rebuild any wetland that they destroy, and they moved the wetland...right next to my house! well not so close that their are mosquitos, but VERY CLOSE, like 2 minutes by foot, so hopefully they will be putting in some, if not, I may talk to the college that is in charge of the project! Oh, lord I hope they do!

i suggest the copelandii over the sibu if you were to get them small. if you were to choose between two large plant the copelandii will still be the best choice because its more hardier but the sibu, a larger size plant, will withstand more of a beating than a smaller one. copelandii is a tough one!

THANX!!! I think I am going w/ that or the vesicora (I think that is the way you spell it?)

Um, well I relized that if I get it b4 march, that it would be cold outside, so it wouldn't do well, so I was wondering if this would work as "grow out" tank, till it gets big enough, or it gets warm enough?

AHHHHHH, can't get the pic to come up, so I will describe it...

I would have a 5 1/2 gallon tank, with thick PVC pipe, to hold up some drilled egg crate(for drainage), and the plant will sit on top of the egg crate, and when I water the plant, the water will drain into the bottom of the tank, where it will make it very humid. Will this work?

i really dont know as i grow them outdoors but this is really my first winter! i have notice they grow a little sluggish as they are tropical
smile_l_32.gif

but they see to be ok with nice pitchers! have you checked my collection? i have a msn space and there is a photo album where you can see all my 23 nepenthes that i have. most are highlanders....

Back