Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effects of fertilizing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been growing nepenthes for just under three years and many plants have grown well for me. Living in Hawaii with warm year around climates and good lighting, humidity and water, I have been successful in growing a wide range of species and hybrids. I base this success on fertilizing.

Here is an example of a cutting recently received in the mail of N. veitchii x albomarginata. The plant received lacked any pitchers or even evidence of a pitcher upon arrival. At about five months after receiving the cutting, it has produced a pitcher. Please see photo.

Other examples include this: thorelii (d) x Trusmadiensis seedling with many pitchers.

I have also noticed that many plants have also flowered quickly, and while this may not always be the desired goal, for breeding them allows for quick sex recognition and notation.
    N. diatas

N. spectabilis x veitchii

and Red Leopard

And now, seedlings start to show their color potential at an earlier age. This is N. ventricosa x (dubia x singalana) EP cross. Small seedlings.

More later,

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants, Michael.

Can't wait to see (and learn) more.

Kpg
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael
    Great plants as ever [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ,I love your climate,its lashing down here"UK,southampton,a mile from the coast,in the new forest"
    I can see your going to have some great crosses in time.
    More pictures please.
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael, how do you fertilize them?
    what do you use and how often?

Yossi.
    Yossi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any species that dislike fertilizing, like northiana?
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What control methods have you employed to make comparisons of fertilized vs. non-fertilized? Do you fertilze as a foliar, root zone, or pitcher feed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]What control methods have you employed to make comparisons of fertilized vs. non-fertilized? Do you fertilze as a foliar, root zone, or pitcher feed?
    Excellent question. It would also be interesting to compare artifically fertillized plants to ones fed strictly insects. Of course, the experiment would have to be carried out for several months because insects release nutrients much slower.

I've also heard that artifically fertilized plants produce larger leaves, and smaller pitchers. Judging by the size of your pitchers, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Ok RainForestGuy,
    Im am also beginning to fertilizing a small Reiwardtiana that has never given good results after more than one year.
    Now it is already too early to tell you about the results,but I will inform you all.
    I am using a fertilizer called "osmocote".
    I will give you more news in some time!
    Bye!

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast