What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep id: nepenthes khasiana?

Hi All,

I posted a topic in regards to identifying this Nepenthes as the species 'Khasiana' or a hybrid with mirbailis last year at some point. The previous thread can be found at this link:
PREVIOUS THREAD ABOUT KHASIANA

It appears as summer draws closer the size of pitchers increase in size as represented in some of the photos below.

Also at the onset of spring, the pitchers in spring are different to those in summer.

Taken WITH flash. Same plant. The pitcher on the left is from last years summer. The pitcher on the right is from early spring this year.
Nepkhas00.jpg

Taken WITHOUT flash. Same plant. The pitcher on the left is from last years summer. The pitcher on the right is from early spring this year.
Nepkhas01.jpg

This was a photo of pitchers taken side by side from the same plant but produced in a different season. I understand pitchers are polymorphic. However, I find this odd that it produces pitchers in Spring as on the right and pitchers in summer as on the left. Quite a difference in peristome, lid, etc...

Side View
Nepkhas02.jpg

Top Angle View
Nepkhas03.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Christian

It looks like khasiana to me. You might have a dif clone with slightly different traits. Lucky you
smile.gif
. You should try sending me a cutting
smile_n_32.gif

is that a collar looks like a albo cross?
confused.gif

does it revert back to large pitchers in summer, then small, and so on and so on according to the seasons?

Hey Chris,

It is a khasiana. My clone did the same thing and, as JLAP questioned, it seemed to be a seasonal thing. Probably a light or temp dependent thing would be my guess though moisture/humidity could be part of it too. I never really bothered to figure it out because it would revert to larger pitchers and I'd be happy. Too bad that 17F snap wasted it, it was one of my biggest Neps at the time, I am sure it would have broke 3m this year
smile_h_32.gif

Fc,

khasiana do have a collar like albo, it starts light like in the picture but will turn pink/red with age.

Is it highland or lowland? If it's lowland, I've got to get one!

Khasiana is one of those species that will grow both highland and lowland...so call it intermediate!

HI all,

LOL - It is certainly possible that it is a different clone with different traits. I purchased this one 6 years ago as a stick from Collectors Corner. At the time, it had a tag with male on it. However, last year it flowered and is definately female as in photos in my previous thread. As far as I knew, there were no female khasianas in Australia at that time.

fc3srx713b - If it was an albo cross, I do not believe it would grow well outside in Victoria, Australias' conditions.

JustLikeAPill - Yes it has gone through the same cycle each year. It was only this year that I was able to take photos of pitchers side by side from different seasons. Pitchers in spring appear to be always smaller than the ones in summer.

Pyro - Long time no speak. How are you? I thought those environmental factors were major contributions in difference in pitchers. My concern was that it looked like N. x Manny Herrera cross (Photos in previous thread link at top). Each year, pitcher size always increases, although has taken 5 years to get to a decent size. I can kind of sympathize, this has had its' growing vine cooked, hit by hailstones, experienced 45 degree temps in the greenhouse in its juvenile years and 39 outside in its mature years. Not to mention been attacked by swarms of aphids and strangled and pricked by the blueberry bush.

Mesial - I would have to say it is a highland/Intermediate. I have not grown mine in lowland conditions to confidentally say it grows well as a lowland.

N. khasiana is subject to changes in the pitchers due to environmental factors. I know this has been the experience of many growers, including myself. Depending on temps, humidity, light, etc., the red spotted color on uppers can be light, or darker and heavy. The latter is pretty rare (atleast for me it was) but looked absolutely beautiful. If it were an albo hybrid (which I highly doubt), it would have narrower leaves.

Back