What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep fertilizer

glider14

Always a newbie
hi i hav a n. ventrata and i heard you can use fertilizer. so my question is...can you use slow relaese fertilizer

what effects will this have on it... larger pitchers larger leaves...larger plant???
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I would suggest against it.

Everyone says stay away from it, but the few that have used it seem to get incredible growth. My guess is, if you do it right, your plants will love it. But if you wrong, they die. Check the other thread.

-Rail

can you? yes, Osmocote(sp?) woks well.

should you? depends. if your plants are growing fine without it i wouldnt bother. i dont fertilze mine though there are a couple that im thinking of trying it with. most do fine on a steady diet of escaped fruit flies from me feeding my dart frogs and the odd house fly and other critters.

i foliar feed mine with orchid fertilizer, that way i dont have to add things to the pitchers.

There is a nepenthes vendor on the net (you can google "nepenthes fertilizer," I'm quite sure). They report rediculous results with it. I am trying it out on two ventricosa seedlings right now. It's been two weeks, and no bad stuff yet....Even a new leaf, but too early to tell if that's from the fertilizer or just regular growth.

If you are just starting out, I wouldn't bother with fertilizer.  The plant you have will grow vigorous without it.  When the new pitchers form, you can add a few small insects.  It works slower, but it's pretty much fool proof (as long as you don't overload them).  

Do you think the plants produce those pitchers just to look pretty?
smile_m_32.gif

Brian

Too much can potentially choke the roots. If used correctly, you MAY get SOME results. I'd advise against it and go al naturale, lettin it pig out on your house pests.

EDIT: LOL page claim.

Back