What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii

Hey guys
I just recieved my N. veithcii today. I was wondering what condition is best for it? I was planning on growing it in 100% LFS for the soil, but i am not really about the temp. and humidity.

Thnx
Jeff

Veitchii has a broad altitudinal distribution, so you may need to give more specific information in relation to your particular variant to get accurate information. However, LFS is fine for nearly all Nep species as a medium. Humidity-wise, veitchii from higher elevations tolerates lower humidity, but lowland variants need much higher humidity in my experience. All variants can be grown as intermediates.

Standard lowland conditions for the lowland variation.
Standard highland conditions for the highland variation.

Intermediate conditions should work for both.

Humidity 50% or above if you can manage. 70% or so would be great.

Sorry about the missing information. The N. veitchii was a lowlander. I was wondering about the fact that u said "all Nep can be grown as an intermediate." Could u give a me a number for the intermediate conditon?

thnx

Ah, it's a lowlander. Well that should be around mid 67-76 at night, and mid 85 or above during the daytime.

Iono what intermediate conditions are, exactly.

Huy, my comments were just about veitchii being able to be grown as an intermediate. Lowland variants are not extreme lowlanders, and the highland variants are found at more intermediate altitudes, so both "lowland" and "highland" veitchii can be grown as intermediates. I've found the lowland species less forgiving of cool temps than the highland one is of warm temps. Neither variant is fast growing, but the lowland variant, in my conditions at least, is slower than the highland one.

Intermediate conditions are around 25 - 30 degrees centigrade during the day, and around 17 - 22 C at night.

Hamish

i have a nice one! a veitchii lowlander x highlander!
(these are pics of when i first got it, looks diff. now)
834N_Veitchii_4.jpg

834N_Veitchii_2.jpg

although probably intermediate i grow this one as a highlander!

Thnx guys for the tips. U guys r great. I have read somewhere on that due to its hairiness of the leaves and pitcher, it can tolerates hiland conditions. It is this true?

I think that hairiness has been attributed with the ability to tolerate lower humidity than other species. I have no idea whether this is empirically correct, but my anecdotal observation is that it's not the case. My veitchii all seem much less tolerant of low humidity than many other species.

Hey guys
Just ask for your advise about the N. veitchii lowland again. Is it ok to put the plant in the growing chamber with 24 light and the temp stay constant(may be hiegher during the day) at 70*F or 22*C.

It should be fine. Mine regularly gets nights of 10C and lower in winter, and it does OK, it just stops growing and the leaves get smaller, which is common for lowlanders in cool conditions. Temps over 20C should be fine.

Back