Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N.rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Nov. 10 2005,1:28)]OK thx for the replies.
    One more question. Can it grow as an intermediate in winter for about 4 months without dying to?
    It's advised against, but it may be able to handle it while it is younger. Let's just say it survived summer in my back yard. It got up in to the nineties a few days there, and i was on vacation for a while, and it survived! So definitely as a juvenile it is hardier than usually given credit for, but as it ages it will become less tolerant. I don't know why. If you could keep the humidity higher and the temps as low as possible during those months, that would be better.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I read somewhere that if its larger it will be more tolerant to warm weather as it has a larger root system. I dont have to grow it as an intermediate for those months, its more like highland I think.. about 24 C day (inside) and if I open the window in the windowsill it will get about 10 C at night. so its probably easier to keep in the winter then in the summer.
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rajah will grow as an intermediate for a few months, but not long term. The one suggestion I have is grow it in as large a pot as possible, as rajah does not enjoy having its roots disturbed. I've seen mature rajah and lowii killed by being repotted.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I know.. I have large pots so that wont be a problem. Can you give me some advice aobut the soil?
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow all my highland and intermediate Nepenthes in pure sphagnum moss, and it works well for me. Other media can be used, and it will be influenced by what is readily available in your area. Sphagnum moss is very easy to get hold of where I am, so it's easiest for me. In some countries it's much harder, if not nigh impossible to obtain (or it is prohibitively expensive. Rob Cantley from Borneo Exotics has been using coir and coconut husks with great success.

The general rules for a good Nep mix are: it must be light and airy - Neps roots don't like pushing their way through "soil", they like something easier to penetrate. It must drain well - Neps don't like to be sitting in a soggy medium for extended periods, it rots their roots (so they're not at all like Sarracenia). It helps if the medium holds moisture, because they do like to be moist, and watering plants several times a day is a pain and a waste of water.

Cheers, Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12