What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i think i made a good puchace this time, or a smart one. does anyone know if the truncata x veitchii is available now? i was lucky to get one because the vendor, i think, was gonna keep the rest that are left. i heard its an old clone from exotica? well i just got it today and i was happy to find out that it came 10'+ in diameter along with a pitcher close to 9"! looks very nice! i think both of the parents are lowlanders though. i love how the stripe are on this nepenthes. the color overall is pink and the stripes on the perisotme is some darkpink. this must be a good one to see when it produces more pitchers. i wonder if the pitchers will be as big as truncata's are. with the veitchii in it i hope the peristome gets radical and especially in the uppers!

btw does anyone have one?

you can almost tell how excited to get this plant in my collection, and sorry for not posting pics right away, im at work and will be posting pics as soon as i get off. the other plants that i received was an alata lrg. peristome that looks alot like tony's alata clone "b". and another sorta surprise plant was a miranda cutting, small though, about 5" with no pitchers.

I'm getting one next week. You'd better hope we're not getting it from the same place, and you happened to get the one I was waiting on
mad.gif
smile_n_32.gif
! N. truncata x veitchii isn't too common, particularly the cross with veitchii H/L made by exotica. That cross has pinkish pitchers and a nice striped peristome. One of the best!

laugh.gif
i do like that coloring on the newly emerging pitchers! love that pink!
cool.gif

There are 4 different truncata x veitchii crosses that I'm aware of, both with lowland and highland variants of veitchii. I have the exotica one with the striped peristome, it's quite nice, especially once mature it has greeny-yellow pitchers with a striped peristome, but some clones are nicer than others in that cross. There's another cross one with a browny-red peristome, and one with a gold peristome. They all get very large in good conditions. I've seen some different crosses of these two species on Trent Meek's site as well that seem to be different from those that I have seen.

I know they get large enough to eat mice. I've seen it in my friend's greenhouse
confused.gif

Does it digest the whole mouse, nothing left but skeleton?

I did not look that long
smile_n_32.gif
! I would assume that most of it gets digested by the end of the pitcher life.

I think you'll find that when mammals end up in pitchers (and even large insects for that matter), they just rot and end up killing the pitcher. The biological elements in the pitchers that break down organic matter just can't handle the heavy duty protein in mammals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Nov. 12 2005,9:35)]There are 4 different truncata x veitchii crosses that I'm aware of, both with lowland and highland variants of veitchii. I have the exotica one with the striped peristome, it's quite nice, especially once mature it has greeny-yellow pitchers with a striped peristome, but some clones are nicer than others in that cross. There's another cross one with a browny-red peristome, and one with a gold peristome. They all get very large in good conditions. I've seen some different crosses of these two species on Trent Meek's site as well that seem to be different from those that I have seen.
mine has that stripe to it too. the new pithcer is full of color than the already opend one.... ill post in about 15 - 25 mins of this post

as of right now my prized hybrid is this one, truncata x veitchii. it use to be spectabilis x veitchii but just looking at it changed my mind. the vendor told me that it may be from exotica. but yeah there are diff clones or var...

dont forget about that alata that i got too
smile_k_ani_32.gif

this one is nice!

OK HERE IT IS!

first the alata...
849N_Alata_Large_Peristome_1_1_.jpg

THE TRUNCATA X VEITCHII...
849N_Truncata_x_Veitchii_1_1_.jpg

JUST LOOK AT THAT COLOR
biggrin.gif

849N_Truncata_x_Veitchii_2_1_.jpg

Dang, those things sure are red! To start with anyway. Are there any clones out there that keep a good pinkish color through most of the pitcher life?

lol,

This one is almost dead, and it's still showing a lot of pink color - photo taken in full sun, so the color is a little washed out:
e5a0bdbf.jpg

KPG

fc3...,
Great looking plants...Good growing!
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Nov. 11 2005,10:49)]well i just got it today and i was happy to find out that it came 10'+ in diameter along with a pitcher close to 9"!
Since no one else mentioned this I will.

WOW, ...How did they ship you a 10'+ plant! That had to be 1 big box!
smile_n_32.gif

That is a very nice looking nep.

just to let everyone know thats a 8" pot its in. the vendor told me that as it pitchers more the pitchers will become more red/pink and will retain it all. the first pic of the truncata x veitchii i think almost through its time, i wonder when it goes into uppers how the peristome may look like...

Very nice plants. I love when people post alata and its actually alata! Love that hybrid. Gotta get me one of those!

thanks for the comments everyone! ill feed it when it opens the new pitcher. does anyone think i should feed it now with the one it already has?

here are more pics of the peristome and striping

849N_Truncata_x_Veitchii_5_1_.jpg

849N_Truncata_x_Veitchii_4_1_.jpg

heres a size comparison of the pitcher to my hand
849N_Truncata_x_Veitchii_3_1_.jpg

more close up of the alata. here is a some what new pitcher. has more pink.
849N_Alata_Large_Peristome_3_1_.jpg

heres a more mature pitcher with more red
849N_Alata_Large_Peristome_2_1_.jpg

Back