What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My highland greenhouse photo tour

I still think your plant is pure macrophylla. I can't see any lowii influence in it. Certainly the pitcher shape and the prominence of the teeth, plus the lid shape, are typical macrophylla. Macrophylla pitchers range in colour from a greeny yellow, to orange to deep red.

Hamish

Look forward to more of your friend's pics!
Comparing the shots of those large mature in plants in habitat to what amounts to a seedling is difficult. Many characteristics that are unique to your plant have not yet become noticeable. Either way: macrophylla or (macrophylla x trusmadiensis), it's beautiful!

A friend of mine has just cme back from Borneo, and has a heap of lowii, macrophylla and Trusmadiensis photos, so when I get the CD I'll upload some as well.

Hi Jeremiah,

Is your 'macrophylla' one of Wistubas clones?
I have several plants of macrophylla and N.x Trusmadiensis, one of my macrophylla originating from Andreas produces the spiked peristome which I see on your plant. In my opinion it is definitely not N.x Trusmadiensis but as for a backcross who knows? My feeling is in accordance with SydneyNeps that the plant is true. An old photo of the plant with the spiked peristome is shown on this link.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10732

Simon,

I had a look at the pic in your link, and I'm trying to work out what your reference is to a macrophylla with a "spiked peristome" is in comparison to - is there a different type? I'm trying to put the words into pictures, and my visualisation skills are a bit iffy. Could you post pics of the different types of macrophylla you have? I've heard of one of the Wistuba clones being suspect, but I've never received enough details to work out what the growers are referring to.

Cheers, Hamish

Hi Simon, good to see you on this forum!

NICE SETUP!!! I almost fainted when I saw that monster Gihugic monter vft.

Hamish, unless I'm wrong here, Simon is saying in reference that the N. macrophylla has "projections or small sharp wide points on the peristome giving it a "spiked" effect, nothing to do with the teeth, but the peristomes general shape. A regular, typical N. macrophylla has a fairly universal round peristome while this variety has a "spiked" or a protruded peristome in select spots.

Dustin, I think I know what you're referring to now, the "ruffles" on the peristome in Jeremiah's picture. I agree it is atypical for macrophylla. It could be intraspecific variation, but it's a definitely possibility it could be a remnant of hybridisation with lowii as the peristome in Trusmadiensis flares out. Maybe genetic testing would tell you what it's background is. Interesting...

But that gets us back to the debate so popular in Sarracenia circles of what a species is, and what a hybrid is...

Hello

Simon Lumb
Yeah it is one of Wistubas clones.

Thanks for your help
-Jeremiah-

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! That's all I can say right now. I'm still in awe-inspired shock!

The horror of genetics!
smile_n_32.gif

if you guys think thats fun then you should try actually being there, it looks like an entire forest of pure nepenthes

Very nice plants Jeremiah.. especially the Jaq.
I have been wondering the same thing about that particular clone of  macrophylla. i have a couple seed grown plants that look correct to compare with Wistubas clone. I agree with you, I think it may have lowii in its past somewhere. The color, peristome shape (spikes), and pitcher shape all look slightly off.

heres a pic of the wistuba clone, and a seed grown mac to compare.
DSCN1879.jpg

real-mac.jpg

Thanks for sharing your wonderfull plants, and greenhouse pics. I just can't get enough!
Robin
smile.gif

If there is some lowii in there, which looks likely, it will certainly be noticeable in the upper pitchers. Phill Mann noted that his Trusmadiensis looked much like a macrophylla (I assume it was from a macrophylla mother) until it matured, when the lowii influence came out. Given that these populations grow together and Trusmadiensis was not a rare hybrid (until people started ripping it from the ground), it would not be surprising to see genetic remnants in both populations of the other species.

BTW, has anyone counted the ribs on the peristome? Trusmadiensis has more ribs than macrophylla, so it might be an indicator of hybrid parentage.

Hi Robin
That is lovely,i to have a clone from Wistuba but its still small so it will be interesting to see as to how it develops in the future.
Bye for now julian

I have a terrible headache! ;)
Really fine! Really fine pictures...any of truncata or rajah in nature?

Oh yeah he got some really nice shots of N. rajah. No photos of N. truncata I think it is from the Philippines right? I will try to get those posted ASAP.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Yes please show us more of those pictures from your friend Jeremiah! They look so cool in nature. Thankyou Sir.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A friend of mine has just cme back from Borneo, and has a heap of lowii, macrophylla and Trusmadiensis photos, so when I get the CD I'll upload some as well.

SydneyNeps please show us some of your pics too!

Thanks guys!

Back