What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizer question

glider14

Always a newbie
Hey,
Ok I just some fertilizer and I was wondering if it was ok to use. It is Schultz Orchid Food 19-31-17. I know its not 30-10-10 but could i still use it? And also can it be used any time during the year as foliar feed? Thank you.

The Schultz'es formulation is a bloom booster, designed to make orchids flower. That is not necessarily the goal with Nepenthes. Overall, the Neps will benefit, but long term it's possible you'll get frequent flowering (meaning a slowdown in pitcher production). It will make Neps bloom. We've tried it. Overall, a higher first number (nitrogen) would be better.

Foliar fertilizing will work, but suggest supplying fertilizer to the roots. It stimulates the Nep root system-which is a good thing.

and foliar feeding is just spraying/misting with fertilizer right? or does it go in pitchers?

diluted with water of course?

I think you are jumping the gun.  This is your first nepenthes that you just received bareroot.  Fertilizing a plant that is struggling to adapt to a new environment can do more harm then good.  Allow the plant to establish itself first, which can take 3 or more months, then come back and ask the question.

Just my opinion.
Brian

Hey Brian your right I didn't take that into consideration. Thanks for that.
smile.gif

Back