What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes miranda - question

I have a n. Miranda hanging in a part-sun location. When I bought it, the folage and pitchers were in bloom but now there is only folage. I have applied Miracle Grow several times over the past 2 months however no new pitchers have developed - am I doing something wrong?

I don't know about this nep, but I know one thing you did wrong and it starts with miracle grow. I think that's the why the pitchers aren't developing, the plant is getting nutrients from the miracle grow thus not needing to develop pitchers to catch insects. I think one way is flush the soil with lots and lots of water, but I'm not entirelly sure.

Yeah, Miracle Gro is death for nepenthes. I'd maybe even repot it in new soil media free of any fertilzer. Or else really flush it with lots of water. I never have fertilized a nepenethes, and people who do only do it with diluted orchid fertilizer solutions.

Fortunately, N. 'Miranda' is tough as nails and should survive this. This is probably why it isn't pitchering for you. Welcome to the forums, by the way!!!

Capslock

Thanks for the advice. I'll repot them immediately. I actually found this plant at a Walmart here in the Orlando area - shocked to find them. I also found a Cobra Lily plant at Target. Florida is a great place for gardening! I lived in San Francisco for several years and really miss it!

The cobra lily plants sold at Target are not true Cobra Lillies (Darlingtonia californica)-not a Lilly either.
MaryEllen, I'm down in Boca Raton and we have had a run of lower than normal humidity and this could cause the pitchers to turn brown on your Miranda. Indeed, get away from the Miracle Grow. If you grow your Miranda on the patio, realise we are going into winter, and the cold dry air that comes with a cold front damages Nepenthes. The dry wind will dissicate the leaves as well. Nepenthes like high humidity. You might want to provide some shelter. Before repotting, try flushing the pot with distilled, or reverse osmosis water. Pour water thru the potting mix so it cascades out the bottom. Repeat every two days for about a week and a half. As a Florida Nep grower, I would not recommend repotting at this time of year. The daylight hours are getting shorter and the humidity levels are low, so it's hard for the plant to re-establish itself. Wait until spring when the days are getting longer.
Good luck and good growing. If you have any other questions, this is a good place to ask. You have the greatest assembly of Nepenthes growers in the world right here at your finger tips!
smile.gif

Back