What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The elusive nep

Hi, as neps appeared in different forms,shapes, sizes and colours, which do you think captured your wild imagination?

N. hamata did it first. Nowadays, I'm loving the N. macrophylla.

Capslock

The first Nepenthes that captured my imagination was N. villosa as pictured in the May, 1964 National Geographic. (Yes, I'm a geezer!) It was quite a few more years before I was able to grow my first Nepenthes, but that article really gave me the bug!

KPG

yep.. hamata!
I could not beleive that plants actually had teeth. The picture of hamata from Peter De amato's book got me hooked. Then I saw a pic of edwardsiana...I have never been the same since! lol
smile.gif

Without a doubt it was N. rajah for me.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

N.lowii. The toilet bowls.
smile_m_32.gif

N.inermis for me. I was fascinated by the fact that it is said to produce a narcotic to stun insects! My first nep was an N.gracilis.

It was a dramatic pic of a N. rafflesiana upper pitcher on the cover of a children's cp book. The coolest thing I ever sawd!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

sounds funny but a plain old alata is what sparked me up, then it was rajah...
smile_m_32.gif

ampullaria is my Nr 1 favorite

Six thousand pots with ventratas hanging from the roof of a nursery I happened to stumble into. That Day I Saw (don't want to offend anyone's feelings, so please insert a deity of your choice here)

For me it was Truncata.
Bye for now julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (killerplantsguy @ Nov. 21 2005,5:52)]The first Nepenthes that captured my imagination was N. villosa as pictured in the May, 1964 National Geographic. (Yes, I'm a geezer!)

KPG
From one geezer to another - Yeah, it was that National Geo article that did it to me, too. But not just the villosa. The carpet of ampullaria, the orangutan sipping the fluid from a sanguinea, the hanging lowii uppers. Paul Zahl was my hero.

You youngsters who haven't seen that magazine - go to every flea market and used book sale you can until you find your very own copy. May 1964. Do it NOW!

laugh.gif
sure if i can find it
laugh.gif

i bet someone took all the available copies
mad.gif

Walter, that was long ago, i am still a kid. please scan or photo it, share with everyone here.Thanks.

Robert

As another old Geezer, I admit to seeing the Nat'l Geo article on Neps. when I was about 12 years old. Dr. Zahl also did an article on that covered North american CP..Flytraps and Sarrs., but the Nep article was the one...

Lowii because I love the shape of it lol and Aristolochioides because...they are just realy cool looking
smile.gif
. Bicarlatera is now my current goal to grow then Iowii and then Aristolochioides. So I have a while to grow it.

hey, by any chance does anyone know whats the fastest growing nepenthes there is?

Back