What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata

Hi guys,
I need your opinion on this. Do guys think a 2"(the diameter) N. truncata worth the price for $8?

I think that's a good price. 8 bucks for a nep, you can't go wrong :p

$8 is cheap for anything. However, you can get much larger plants for cheap at various retailers. I would suggest the latter option since truncata seedling grow very slowly, and won't be of much interest.

IOL
Do you know anywhere i can a N. truncata for a better size?

ebay where else?!?!?!?!
biggrin.gif

You could get a 6-inch plant for $15 from Tony Paroubek, or a 9-incher for $25. I bought one of those little ones on ebay, it's healthy and a good deal, but believe me, it will take a LONG time to get to six inches. Your better bet is Tony, imo.

Paroubek's place

Capslock

yeah thats another good bet at a chance at a bigger plant for the best value, i think
smile_l_32.gif

I checked on ebay and guess wat i saw?  It said N. trucata 1" for $4.99.  I also read the discription and it said:

" A highland species,is characterized by its smooth swollen  
  pitchers with a narrowed 'waist'.A number of varieties exist
  and pitcher colour can vary from yellow green to red."

I don't know if the trucata is real a highland or not, but if it is i would buy it for being a highland species without doubt.
smile_m_32.gif

So what do u guys think, should i go for it?
smile_l_32.gif

Jeese, I guess I'ma have to pm you and tell you where to go to find some retailers. Is this your first plant? If so you should spend an extra $10 or so for a larger one. Trust me.

I have grown a tc lowland truncata from 1" to 6" in a little over a year....

i prefer to purchase my neps from Tony, it will be very hard to beat the quality plants you get from him for the money you spend. ive purchased several neps from him in the past and he has never failed to surprise me with his quality. plus i know plants from him have been hardened off. ebay is generally where i get my "test" plants, generally i purchase hose from Cooks, but if there is a plant i REALLY want i shoot Tony an email cause for the money spent, even if its more, its going to be bigger and better IMHO

I had bad luck with one of those 2" truncatas from Ebay. Didn't grow worth a darn and eventually gave up the ghost. I have since bought a 5or 6" one from an online store (I can't remember now which one! Darn it), but it's doing very well.

I doubt very much that those 1" plants for $4.99 are trully the highland variety.

The highland form can be quite a fast grower: my plant was five inches in diameter when I bought it in March '04 and it's just over two feet across with ten-inch pitchers today.
Cheers,
TonyC

Two feet with only 10" pitchers?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 23 2005,6:19)]Two feet with only 10" pitchers?
well the truncata that i have had a 10" pithcer on it and the plant was about 22" in diameter, close to two feet..

Back